What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Boiling Point - Hitchcock once said a good movie should start with an earthquake and the tension should only go up after that - Boiling Point almost gave me PTSD from the first scene. Shot in a single, 90 min take in restaurant it is one of the most stressful movies I have ever seen. Graham is great as a headchef on a cusp of mental breakdown. All the classic tropes from real high end kitchens are present: obnoxious customers, primadonna sommeliers, hated management, drug use among the staff - too real if you have ever worked In fine dining.
Very, very, very good film
5/5

Adam4868

Guru
Boiling Point - Hitchcock once said a good movie should start with an earthquake and the tension should only go up after that - Boiling Point almost gave me PTSD from the first scene. Shot in a single, 90 min take in restaurant it is one of the most stressful movies I have ever seen. Graham is great as a headchef on a cusp of mental breakdown. All the classic tropes from real high end kitchens are present: obnoxious customers, primadonna sommeliers, hated management, drug use among the staff - too real if you have ever worked In fine dining.
Very, very, very good film
5/5
Agreed....love Stephen Graham !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hitchcock once said a good movie should start with an earthquake and the tension should only go up after that
That was actually Sam Goldwyn - Mr Cinerama Epic: “We want a story that starts out with an earthquake and works its way up to a climax”.

(Thanks for the heads up - and agreed that Stephen Graham is the business. I've yet to see him in anything that wasn't a cracker.)

gbb

Legendary Member
Picked at random on Netflix...

Moonrise Kingdom with Bruce Willis.
I loved it, quirrky, funny, slightly dark at times, just a bit off the wall. Puts me in mind of Fantastic Mister Fox.

My wife got bored, i loved it, just nice to watch something light hearted and different.

Picked at random on Netflix...

Moonrise Kingdom with Bruce Willis.
I loved it, quirrky, funny, slightly dark at times, just a bit off the wall. Puts me in mind of Fantastic Mister Fox.

My wife got bored, i loved it, just nice to watch something light hearted and different.
Did not find review helpful.
Wife was wrong.
Film is not a Bruce Willis film. But it IS quirky and funny.
3/10

Reactions: gbb

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Red Notice with Dwayne the Rock, Ryan Reynolds and the lass that played the new Wonder Woman. It’s was pretty trash but came with my mums recommendation, she’s 83 ! :laugh:

Just finished watching "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. It's a disaster. Unlike the written word, you could not do the " /satire" thingy. Unfortunately it will be fodder for conspiracy theorists from both the left and right side of spectrum as they will say " we told you so. Both selecting what they have always leaned to and liked.

Satire is one of the toughest genres to create and despite the star-studded cast, it flopped. In the end it looked close to a B movie by the time it ended.

I thought they overplayed satire right across script until it came a parody - simplistic, comic and light weight individuals holding levers of power rather than cunning and manipulative figures seen and unseen corrupting public office with money, deception and sex. The general who charged pennies for free house snacks to the idiot looking and behaving billionaire who carries influence. And who sleeps with 2 Presidents and screws a nobody.

If George Orwell saw this he would hang himself to cleanse the corruption of satire and the French will never watch another English speaking movie.

https://www.theatlantic.com/podcasts/archive/2022/01/dont-look-up-satire/621256/

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Just finished watching "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. It's a disaster. Unlike the written word, you could not do the " /satire" thingy. Unfortunately it will be fodder for conspiracy theorists from both the left and right side of spectrum as they will say " we told you so. Both selecting what they have always leaned to and looked.

Satire is one of the toughest genres to create and despite the star-studded cast, it flopped. In the end it looked close to a B movie by the time it ended.

I thought they overplayed satire right across script until it came a parody - simplistic, comic ands light weight individuals holding levers of power rather than cunning and manipulative figures seems and unseen corrupting public office with money, deception and sex. The general who charged pennies for free house snacks to the idiot looking and behaving billionaire who carries influence. And who sleeps with 2 Presidents and screws a nobody.

If George Orwell saw this he would hang himself to cleanse the corruption of satire and the French will never watch another English speaking movie.

https://www.theatlantic.com/podcasts/archive/2022/01/dont-look-up-satire/621256/
Sometimes i only have to watch a trailer and my mind is made up, it struck me as a stupid story and convinced me at the same time it was going to be carp. First instincts appear to be right.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
14 Peaks.

It was documentary about a Nepali mountaineer's successfully climbing all 14 8000m peaks - in a single season (6 months and 6 days) !!!:eek:

The chances of a single individual doing them all is pretty low, as frankly the "law of averages" suggests you'd be killed trying given the considerable risks of ascending any one of them even for the strongest and most capable climber. To put the risk in context, for Annapurna one climber has been killed for every 3 who's made it to the top. The lead climber Nims Purja, along the way did Everest, Lhotse and Makula as a 48 hour trip ! That alone is insane. Since doing all 14 he's also the first climber to do K2 in winter which was only last year.

Anyhow a great film of an utterly astonishing feat.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Watched The Gentleman , Hugh Grant without his posh boy accent. Actually quite good . Liberal use of the c you next Tuesday , total nonsense but quite funny . Reminds of Snatch which was brilliant in its own way !

Whilst Guy Richie films are arguably somewhat formulaic, they are very well crafted and very entertaining aren't they. We've watched a few of late and greatly enjoyed all of them. I think Grant is even better at seedy characters than as the posh boy persona he made his name with

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Whilst Guy Richie films are arguably somewhat formulaic, they are very well crafted and very entertaining aren't they. We've watched a few of late and greatly enjoyed all of them. I think Grant is even better at seedy characters than as the posh boy persona he made his name with
Yes he played that character well ! Ge should do more of these ! His twitter account is a hoot btw!

Last edited:
Top Bottom