What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
14 Peaks.

It was documentary about a Nepali mountaineer's successfully climbing all 14 8000m peaks - in a single season (6 months and 6 days) !!!:eek:

The chances of a single individual doing them all is pretty low, as frankly the "law of averages" suggests you'd be killed trying given the considerable risks of ascending any one of them even for the strongest and most capable climber. To put the risk in context, for Annapurna one climber has been killed for every 3 who's made it to the top. The lead climber Nims Purja, along the way did Everest, Lhotse and Makula as a 48 hour trip ! That alone is insane. Since doing all 14 he's also the first climber to do K2 in winter which was only last year.

Anyhow a great film of an utterly astonishing feat.
Yes we saw that last month. Amazing fear and if he were a Westerner he would be far more famous.

Whilst Guy Richie films are arguably somewhat formulaic, they are very well crafted and very entertaining aren't they. We've watched a few of late and greatly enjoyed all of them. I think Grant is even better at seedy characters than as the posh boy persona he made his name with
I think this one was waaaay better than most Ritchie films.

And I suspect posh boys might be best at playing seedy characters!

figbat

Slippery scientist
The Eternals.

My teenage daughter is MCU-mad and the whole family have watched most standard content so far (ie the films and recent off-shoot serials) so it was a bit of a given we'd be watching this. As a film, it's a ripping yarn with all the CGI and monsters and superheroes and stuff. It's a bit difficult to believe this all sits alongside the MCU happenings without ever having been brought up before, but I really only watch these at a superficial level - my daughter sees all the connections and interplays.

Anyway - yeah, it delivered some family entertainment and ticked off another on the MCU list. 7/10 I guess.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Went to see that at the pictures with my son , he wanted to go. I only went so as to see Salma Hayak and listen to her voice :blush::laugh: . It was all CGI and not my favourite superhero type film .

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Macbeth: the new one with Denzel Washington in the title role and Frances McDormand as Lady M. She is perhaps best known as the police officer in Fargo (for which she got an one of her 4 Oscars). Both leads are superb ! Other stand outs amongst the cast are Brendan Glesson as King Duncan who brings a lot of dignity and power to a relatively small role, and Kathryn Hunter outstanding and very physical as (all three) witche. (we'd previously seen her as Timon in "Timon of Athens" at the RSC and she was great in that too)

Basically it's done almost as a beautifully filmed (black and white) stage play albeit with bigger sets and stylised scenes of mist or snow. One great thing for me is the lines are all delivered very clearly, important for Shakespeare as the words are the whole point after all, though some productions rush or mumble.

Some particularly good and clever staging decisions "this dagger I see before me" is a glistening door handle, which emphasises MacBeth's inner turmoil, and likewise the Banquo's ghost scene, whilst still showing Banquo to the audience, he is only a trapped crow as far as the guests are concerned. The witches' second appearance is in the castle with the "bubbling cauldron" of the spell being a conjured up pool on the tiled floor, which disappears as other character come on stage. All these help keep it real for a modern audience.

I know Macbeth quite well having seen it on stage or screen maybe 10 ten times and I was gripped from start to finish.

By way of contrast the other Macbeth film from a couple of years back, whilst beautiful to look at with its Isle of Skye backdrop, managed to make a gripping action play boring, which takes some doing. It was also disjointed and barely comprehensible and had I not known the play I don't think I'd have even known what was going on! The clarity and tightness of this one was such a contrast

Caveat, this is more like a filmed play that a film proper, but for a straightforward very well done version of Macbeth, this is pretty damned good.

For me 9/10

Last edited:
The Whole Nine Yards. Great fun.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Last weekend I went to the cinema to see Belfast, directed by Kenneth Branagh. Set in 1969 at the start of the troubles. At times difficult viewing and then light hearted. Was glad I went to see it. Branagh lived in Belfast till aged 9 so presumably had a fair bit of input into the story.

Last weekend I went to the cinema to see Belfast, directed by Kenneth Branagh. Set in 1969 at the start of the troubles. At times difficult viewing and then light hearted. Was glad I went to see it. Branagh lived in Belfast till aged 9 so presumably had a fair bit of input into the story.
Reader, he WROTE it!

(Must admit I had NO IDEA he grew up over there until now. 🤦‍♀️)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Reader, he WROTE it!

(Must admit I had NO IDEA he grew up over there until now. 🤦‍♀️)
Ah I generally dash out whilst the credits are rolling so hadn't realised that!
I had always presumed he was some type of luvvie, but no, after moving to Reading went to the local primary and comprehensive (although did lose his Irish accent to avoid bullying).

Top Bottom