What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah I generally dash out whilst the credits are rolling so hadn't realised that!
I had always presumed he was some type of luvvie, but no, after moving to Reading went to the local primary and comprehensive (although did lose his Irish accent to avoid bullying).
Loved the film. Only visited Belfast for the first time a years ago and it's a lovely city. Such a stark contrast to the news reports of it when I was growing up. How times change.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is this the recent remake, which I avoided based on the ropey looking trailer?

The original Robert Mitchum, Henry Fondac Charlton Heston, Toshiro Mifune version from 1976 is excellent!
Yes

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Nightmare alley - Excellent horror. Cooper is great as a con man with a murky past. Ensemble cast of circus freaks even better. I very much liked the art deco/gothic aesthetic of the movie, same as the understated score. A devastating ending bringing to mind The Unusual Suspects.
5/5

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In the middle of watching Dune , very good special effects and they did a pretty good job of conveying the story although its didnt grip me enough to think its was as good as some people seem to think it is .
Whilst being infinitely better than Lynch's 80s version, and looks great... I found it a tad boring whilst still being enjoyable. The 3pt series is still my favourite screen version of Dune.

Domus

Guru
As a die hard Brian Wilson fan just been to HOME in Manchester to watch 'Long Promised Road', a very moving insight into the mind and soul of an ageing troubled genius. Mrs Domus can take or leave Brians's music but even she was moved.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Nightmare alley - Excellent horror. Cooper is great as a con man with a murky past. Ensemble cast of circus freaks even better. I very much liked the art deco/gothic aesthetic of the movie, same as the understated score. A devastating ending bringing to mind The Unusual Suspects.
5/5

Saw this last week. I knew I'd like it, but fark it's bleak.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst being infinitely better than Lynch's 80s version, and looks great... I found it a tad boring whilst still being enjoyable. The 3pt series is still my favourite screen version of Dune.

Whilst Lynch's film is indeed a bit of a mess in many ways, including clumsy voice overs of character's "inner thoughts" and introducing bizarre additional elements such as the wonder-weapons and the grotesque heart plugs, but it's still rather good fun and does look fantastic

Adam4868

Guru
I find with Lynch's films your almost expected to like them....even when there sh1te.Which for me they usually are.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Whilst Lynch's film is indeed a bit of a mess in many ways, including clumsy voice overs of character's "inner thoughts" and introducing bizarre additional elements such as the wonder-weapons and the grotesque heart plugs, but it's still rather good fun and does look fantastic
I could always see there was a good story in there, and that it was something that I wanted to enjoy... but after at least five viewings over a couple of decades, it's always disappointed me on so many levels. Thankfully, other Dunes are now available :okay:

which reminds, me, I've not watched Children of Dune yet

Adam4868

Guru
Nah, the guy is a genius. Directors have copied him for 40 years. Just look at Twin Peaks, it all changed after that came out. Every naff Netflix series owes him.
Sure your right....just not for me.Dont watch many Netflix series I think there mostly sh1te.😁

Adam4868

Guru
Agree with you on that :laugh:
Do you not even like Elephant Man? It's far less weird than others and a great watch. I struggle with Eraserhead, then a lot of folks do :laugh:
Yes Elephant man is a good film in a tragic way....couldn't say I'd want to watch it too many times though ! A difficult enough watch.Impossible not to be moved by it !
Mullholand Drive tolerable 😁
But that's as far as it goes for me sorry...I'm a picky customer !

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The Darwin Awards.
This film is 16 years old, and I'd never heard of it; that should have told me how awful it was.

Terrible... but... I quite enjoyed it.

Top Bottom