What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now; Miss Congeniality 2
 

AndyRM

XOXO
Location
North Shields
Hunter Hunter - 7/10

Low budget survivalist horror from a slightly different angle. Not much more I can say without giving things away, but I enjoyed it and if you're a fan of the genre, you'll like this.
 

Binky

Veteran
Quantum of Solace

Seen many times and whilst not the best Bond film it delivers.
Craig elevated a daft plot with an excellent physical performance.
 

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Location
Scotland
The Odyssey 5/10

TLDR: I didn’t enjoy it. I thought the cinematography was impressive but that’s about it.

Having read it two years ago, and enjoyed it, I was looking forward to this. I hadn’t seen any trailers or any of the hype, so I’d no idea who’d be in it. Anne Hathaway (swoon) was very good, Matt Damon was decent. Zendaya was a waste of space as Athena and I don’t see why she gets the plaudits she does.
Tom Holland was similarly weak in his portrayal of Telemachus. And there were too many annoying departures from the original story.

We were in the second row from the back yet it still felt that we were much too close to the screen. It was impossible to take in a scene without scanning the enormous 80ft x 60ft screen. Is this what Imax is supposed to be like? God knows how the folk in the front rows felt.

Then there was the audio. I’ve read reviews from people praising the soundtrack but I don’t recall hearing any music. All I could hear was a never-ending boom … boom … boom in any scene that was supposed to be dramatic. Instead of increasing the drama by acting, the director chose to do so by increasing the volume and frequency of the boom to BOOM BOOM BOOM and just when you thought it couldn’t get worse, it became BOOM BOOM BOOM. The entire auditorium shook and vibrated with the intensity of this.
This thunderous repetition was the only soundtrack I was aware of.

My wife spent most of the time with her hands over her ears during these scenes; that’s how uncomfortable the sound level was. Again, I’m not sure if this is a ‘feature’ of an Imax screening or if it would be true in a normal cinema.

Common with most modern films, the clarity (not volume) of the dialogue was poor, meaning that we missed probably 20-25% of what was being said.

Not a film I’d watch again, unless to pick out all the areas of Scotland I recognised, nor would I go back to an Imax.
 

AndyRM

XOXO
Location
North Shields
I like IMAX, but it's not a format I'd want to watch a film I'd need to pay attention to. Best suited for sweeping landscapes.

As for Zendaya, she's a Disney kid, hence the hype. Expect a massive breakdown and recovery in the not too distant future, unfortunately.
 

AndyRM

XOXO
Location
North Shields
Masters of the Universe - 5/10

I was never into He-Man and when I was younger, so I appreciate I'm not really the target audience for this particular nostalgia trip which is probably why I didn't enjoy it much.

Skeletor was fun, Dolph Lundgren's cameo was a neat touch and the score is killer, but other than that it was overlong and all the campy self deprecating humour couldn't save it from being a bit boring.

Unlike the excellent Barbie I don't think Mattel let the creators off the leash as much which is why it falls a bit flat.
 

Pblakeney

Über Member
Gladiator II. It met my expectations set by bad reviews. It could have been good but there are too many times where the scenes are cranked up past 11 which serves no purpose other than derive ridicule. Paul Mescal has nowhere near the presence of Russel Crowe.
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
The Mandalorian and Grogu Usual Star Wars fare,but I'd give it 8.5 out of 10
I'd rewatch to catch all the nods to other films,notably Apocalypse Now amongst others
I watched it last night. I found it sort of OK but not a film I'd recommend. Bit of a nothing really. Well enough made. Found the puppets/Grogu motion poor which detracted a bit. No real story, just mindless "entertainment" that did little more than pass time (something I hate doing).
 
Top Bottom