What fixed Gearing do you use ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skupp

I have 46x16 on 700C wheels, not sure what that equates to in inches... Might have to try a higher(?) gear, as on downhills and straights I seem to be pedalling like a banshee...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
77.625 if i am right?:blush:
You think thats bad downhill, dont ride 65

skupp

cool, thanks for that, still very new to this sort of thing... So at a guess, 77inches is a good middle of the road gear? 80+ better for straights/downhill, 70 or less better for the steep bits?

BTW, for fellow newbies, to calculate gear inches (Chainring/Sprocket)*26.4
- Thanks to Frustruck on another thread :blush:

Cheers!
Daniel.

Greenbank

Über Member
skupp said:
I have 46x16 on 700C wheels

It also depends on the size of the tyre you have. The bigger the tyre the further you travel (slightly) for one revolution of the wheel.

46x16 on 700c * 20mm tyres is 75.2"
46x16 on 700c * 38mm tyres is 78.5"

Multiplying chainring/sprocket ratio by 26.4 will give you the gear inch for a 26mm 700c tyre.

GrahamG

Guru
I really struggled up the Bristol hills in 68" earlier this week, so back to 64 1/2" until I'm less of a fat bastard and my ankle is back to fully fit.

Mr Phoebus

Always rode 78" but for the last 7 months I've dropped to 68".
One drawback is that I now sweat like a pig through being more animated. :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
66" here, 48x19. That's good for at least 38mph down Leaves Green hill, and even my recumbent only manages 46mph or so there, so that's plenty fast enough.

Any clown can brute force a massive gear, spinning is a whole different thing. I'm still trying to get anywhere near FWN, quite some learning to do.

rootes

I have ended up with 48x18 as that what the bike came with.... seems ok around woking area.. 70"

top gear on my 2 speed brommie is 72"

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
66" here, 48x19. That's good for at least 38mph down Leaves Green hill, and even my recumbent only manages 46mph or so there, so that's plenty fast enough.

Any clown can brute force a massive gear, spinning is a whole different thing. I'm still trying to get anywhere near FWN, quite some learning to do.

A seasoned and skilled cyclist can twiddle and push a big gear - the two are not mutually exclusive.

Greenbank

Über Member
BentMikey said:

I'd say you're almost there. 38mph on 66" is a very respectable 191rpm.

MessenJah

Rider
I use this

Image1.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ermm, 39/18 for 58.5 of your Earth inches. :biggrin:

It's fine for pootling about York, and I can spin it fast enough to drop a standard Arch, should I choose to (and be prepared for the consequences)!

Top Bottom