What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Went to Chez Afrique, near where I live not long ago. Great High Life music good food and beer.

View: https://youtu.be/73lJb3D4wpE

Last edited:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Last gig I went to was this one, I will post about the next gig tomorrow.

View attachment 149912

_20161026_201920.JPG

Tim Hall

Last week we saw Boo Hewerdine at the Junction 2 in Cambridge. He was great. I first heard his music in about '86 when he was in The Bible. He only lives in Ely and gigs regularly around here, but every time until last Tuesday I was otherwise engaged.

What I'm trying to fathom is that the tickets were £12 each, he had his mate Dan Whitehouse in support and there must have been 8 staff (some probably volunteeers) with a crowd of 50ish people. How would that break even?
I'm guessing they won't, but they stand a better chance than the band I saw last week, the fabulous Merry Hell. An eight piece folk/rock band full of energy playing upstairs at the miller near London Bridge station. Eight quid a ticket, and say 50-60 in the audience. Plus support from Swill (of The Men They Couldn't Hang) and Bobby Valentino. I bought two CDs as the music was fabby and to help out a bit.

I think this is why they do it:
Our art is energy and our hope is unity. Our pleasure is to please: let the audience be the acid test and let the music speak for itself...
(Night of a Thousand Candles is currently on my turntable)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't been to a gig for years. The last few were at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge which is a nice, intimate venue. The problem was that the club insisted on having their PA system stupidly loud. One time, I was standing a few feet in front of a drummer who was really belting his drums but I could hardly hear them over the distorted sound of the band's guitars and vocals. A friend shouted into my ear from a range of about 3 inches and I couldn't hear a word. He ended up miming 'do you want a pint?'.

The next time I went, I wore ear plugs which brought the levels down from 'damaging' to just 'loud' and I enjoyed it a lot more. It would good not to have that distortion though.

Actually, I quite fancy going along there again so I must keep an eye on future gigs. And keep those earplugs handy ...!

Nick is as good, I was at this Gig and he was fantastic,

View: https://youtu.be/KwKTDegcFBA

Nick played at the Tower of Song in Birmingham but unfortunately I could not make it. His style is different but he is equally as talented as his father.

Joe Brown.

Not really my taste in music (I am a few years too young, but not many) but I was taking a friend for a birthday treat.

It was a nice evening - just Joe and one accompanist, playing acoustic instruments, and not too loud. Sorry if that makes me sound like a codger, but I hate concerts that are an assault on the senses, particularly on the ears......

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I went to see Teleman at Sub89 in Reading on Sunday Night, was good to be out. Had a kebab and everything!
Saw them at Cambridge Junction last Wednesday (and earlier in the year at Cambridge Portland Arms & also at Norwich Open) - Absolutely brilliant, perfect indie pop.

Honeyblood at Norwich Arts Centre followed by Low at the same venue 2 days later at the end of the month are all I can offer.

Top Bottom