What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last week we saw Boo Hewerdine at the Junction 2 in Cambridge. He was great. I first heard his music in about '86 when he was in The Bible. He only lives in Ely and gigs regularly around here, but every time until last Tuesday I was otherwise engaged.

What I'm trying to fathom is that the tickets were £12 each, he had his mate Dan Whitehouse in support and there must have been 8 staff (some probably volunteeers) with a crowd of 50ish people. How would that break even?
I love Boo Hewerdine and see him at least once a year. I agree, the maths look tight but maybe his own expenses are so low for a local gig that it's still worth it? Meanwhile, presumably all the touring with Eddi Reader is what really pays his bills.

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
Hes brilliant live.Saw him at the Hippodrome in Kingston earlier this year (which is a great little venue for gigs) and couldnt believe how good he was.
They have had some 'big' names there lately... think the Kaiser Chiefs played there last month (not sure what size audience they pull in now, but a few years back the Leeds lot were selling out Earl's Court)

gaz71

Über Member
They have had some 'big' names there lately... think the Kaiser Chiefs played there last month (not sure what size audience they pull in now, but a few years back the Leeds lot were selling out Earl's Court)
Today I got tickets to see Corteeners there,theyre playing Manchester Oval a few days before.If you like that sort of music you should keep an eye on the Banquet Records website.I got to see Biffy Clyro at The Rose Theatre a few weeks ago.

TVC

Tonight's gig is Glenn Tilbrook. Unfortunately manflu has struck and I'm going to bed instead :sad:

gaz71

Über Member
Just booked tickets to see The Carnabys in Egham on saturday night.Really looking forward to this one as they are excellent live.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Dale Watson in Oxford last night, the guy plays (singer and ace guitarist) live most days sometimes twice a day and he never puts on anything other than a first rate show. The band are top notch too; drums, double bass and pedal steel. He plays without a setlist and will play requests from anywhere in his career, they all know all his songs, and when you've got 30 years and 20 albums to your name that's pretty impressive. Not many will (or can) put on such a spontaneous show. He's my favourite.

_20161103_225306.JPG

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Dale Watson in Oxford last night, the guy plays (singer and ace guitarist) live most days sometimes twice a day and he never puts on anything other than a first rate show. The band are top notch too; drums, double bass and pedal steel. He plays without a setlist and will play requests from anywhere in his career, they all know all his songs, and when you've got 30 years and 20 albums to your name that's pretty impressive. Not many will (or can) put on such a spontaneous show. He's my favourite.

View attachment 150121

My rule of thumb is that if everyone is sitting down it isn't a gig. It's a recital

Reactions: TVC
Nothing last night... but the half term week (ish) included Chris T-T at the Black Swan, Tom Brosseau in the Basement, Loudon Wainwright III at the Barbican, Ezra Furman at the O2 Ritz and Simone Felice at the Crescent. Keeps me busy and out of trouble...

Doseone

Guru
This was the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading this year. They were very good but Imagine Dragons were much better.
chili peppers.jpg

Ciar

Veteran
First gig for me will be Jan 29th http://www.seetickets.com/event/per...idal-tendencies/o2-forum-kentish-town/1005131 friend of mine was given two tickets and he has collared me to go along :smile: it has an interesting line up of
Suicidal Tendencies
Agnostic Front
Municipal Waste
Walls of Jericho
Down to Nothing
Burn
Mizery

also bought my Download tickets for 2017 as well, group of us going to camp and enjoy the fun, so far very chuffed that SOAD are playing and looking forward to seeing all the others artists as they are announced.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First gig for me will be Jan 29th http://www.seetickets.com/event/per...idal-tendencies/o2-forum-kentish-town/1005131 friend of mine was given two tickets and he has collared me to go along :smile: it has an interesting line up of
Suicidal Tendencies
Agnostic Front
Municipal Waste
Walls of Jericho
Down to Nothing
Burn
Mizery

also bought my Download tickets for 2017 as well, group of us going to camp and enjoy the fun, so far very chuffed that SOAD are playing and looking forward to seeing all the others artists as they are announced.

I have never, ever seen a bad Suicidal gig. Always a great time when they play and always a completely mad crowd.
Have some 'Clap Like Ozzy'..

Last saw AF a couple of years back. As much as I love this band, they seemed to be going through the motions that night. Hopefully no so for your gig.

Top Bottom