What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Charlie Parr/Richard Dawson double-header, with support from someone called Ed Dowie, all performing to an extremely enthusiastic audience.

I'd never listened to any of 'em before. Quite liked the support despite his style not really being my thing. Loved Charlie Parr. Spent Richard Dawson's set regretting our seat choice because I was in the middle-ish of a row near the front and couldn't escape without really disturbing the very obvious enjoyment of the majority of the audience around me and he definitely failed the a**e test (do you spend the performance thinking about the show or about how uncomfortable the seat it?) and had I been sitting elsewhere I would have applied the 2 song rule. The 2 song rule is that everyone gets 2 songs (on the basis that the first one they do might not work out great for many different reasons so they get a second chance) but after that I feel it's OK to walk out instead of wasting life on music I'm not enjoying. I did once see an act - Endless Boogie - who used their entire set to do two songs but fortunately I liked them enough to stay for the one track 25 minute encore.

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
The Stanglers on Monday night:

6678A582-D8BF-4C62-AE97-6736ADCC801A.jpeg

I only found out a few days before the gig that there’s only one of the original members in the current line up. The first few songs left me feeling that they were almost a tribute band, but a few more songs in and I appreciated that they weren’t trying to be exactly the same (the singer has his own style, without trying to imitate Hugh Cornwell) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And Rock City (in Nottingham) is one of those great medium sized venues where you’re never too far from the front, the floors are sticky and the beer’s served in plastic glasses^_^

Speaking of not too far from the front...
View attachment 400020

The utterly splendid Wave Pictures. Probably the band I have seen most live performances by - and this was the CrinklyTeenager's third one of theirs. I shouldn't like them (I prefer female vocalists, don't really 'get' drum solos and am no fan of guitar heros) but I abso-bloody-lutely love 'em.

TVC

We were Numanoid.

20180314_200707.jpg
20180314_200659.jpg
20180314_200655.jpg

Angular, driving, tribal and sometimes symphonic, an agressive joy.

It's nearly 35 years since I last bothered with Gary Numan. The finished article is a strong, confident force that owns the audience.

Finally the way he performs Cars now is like receiving an exquisite kicking.

I am converted.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
We were Numanoid.

View attachment 400067 View attachment 400068 View attachment 400069

Angular, driving, tribal and sometimes symphonic, an agressive joy.

It's nearly 35 years since I last bothered with Gary Newman. The finished article is a strong, confident force that owns the audience.

Finally the way he performs Cars now is like receiving an exquisite kicking.

I am converted.
I hadn't realised he was playing Pompey (this past Monday) in my week off, then left it too late to buy a ticket. New stuff sounds rather good. Seen him a few times at festivals, and a couple of guest appearances…the last this one (they did Metal as well) :smile:

Reactions: TVC

Lullabelle

Banana
I hadn't realised he was playing Pompey (this past Monday) in my week off, then left it too late to buy a ticket. New stuff sounds rather good. Seen him a few times at festivals, and a couple of guest appearances…the last this one (they did Metal as well) :smile:

This gig wasn't sold out but as close as...We have only heard 1 from his new album-my name is ruin but the whole show was brilliant.

TVC

Last post about Gary Numan, here is his latest, featuring his daughter. Unmistakenly the same bloke from 1979, but one who has followed the path he believed in then to a very competent and assured now.

SteveF

Went to see Turin Brakes at the Palladium last night, have seen them a few times and they just seem to get better and better.

TVC

Splinter is a brilliant album.

He's playing Jodrell Bank in the summer, I'm really hoping its the same day as the Chemical Brothers.
We went go Bluedot a couple of years ago when Jean-Michel Jarre and Air were playing. I can thoroughly recommend it as a festival, great venue and plenty of geeky stuff to get involved with.

gbb

Legendary Member
My granddughter (12) was one of the lead in her schools production of School of Rock last night...brilliantly played byò kids of 11 to 17. She plays base guitar (taught by Gizz Butt of Prodigy) and sings, it just makes to you beam to hear someone close to you sing when you're quite introverted youself. A lot of the music was played by a pit band but Hollie had her scenes where she played . About 2 hours of singing, rock and fun.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Not expecting much of Jean-Michel Jarre? These comments caused me some amusement, not just as a long-term fan but because of the well-publicised and not at all low-key concerts for which he became renowned (1 million at his first live show, Paris 1979, 3.5 million in Moscow 1997). This was my first, with a mere 100,000 or so others…

He's playing Coachella this year. Not top of the bill. Does not compute.

TVC

Not expecting much of Jean-Michel Jarre? These comments caused me some amusement, not just as a long-term fan but because of the well-publicised and not at all low-key concerts for which he became renowned (1 million at his first live show, Paris 1979, 3.5 million in Moscow 1997). This was my first, with a mere 100,000 or so others…

He's playing Coachella this year. Not top of the bill. Does not compute.

He was completely off my radar, obviously I was aware of his pulling power back in the day, but I had no idea what he was up to these days. For all I knew he was just doing the circuit flogging 'beat of' shows.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another John Bramwell gig last night
IMG_4702.JPG

He was on good form as ever. The plus point is that it was about 8 miles from our house.

He usually has his mate Dave Fiddler as his support, but last night it was a duo called Rue Royale. They were reminiscent of The XX and Daughter. We've found a new band to like.

https://rueroyale.bandcamp.com/

Top Bottom