What goes through the mind of a driver when they see a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
some drivers just see anything that may slow them down in anyway as an obstacle to get past. it does not matter if that is a cyclist, a tractor, a set of traffic lights, other cars, pedestrians, bad driving conditions or anything else. I see more examples of bad driving when I'm in my car than I do on my bike the difference is I am more vulnerable on my bike

Last edited:

hatler

Guru
I presume that should read 'vulnerable', but I like your version !! ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
I confess that as a cyclist my first instinct is to look at the rider, their position and body language and their bike and kit. If they are getting a move on and riding as if they are aware of the traffic, I rank them mentally as a serious cyclist. If they are bumbling along, wobbling, with saddle too low and loose clothes dragging in the wind I rank them as amateur cyclists but that doesn't mean I cut them up; I will wait or I will give them a wide berth, forcing oncoming motorists to give me room I need if this doesn't endanger anybody. If they are dressed in black with hoodies and no lights and swerving across the road without even looking at me, I cover brakes, horn and headlight flasher and swear at them.

You're just proving the point that the most important factor in safe cycling is the cyclist's position on the road. Leave just enough room to squeeze past and lot's of drivers will do just that.
Even not leaving enough room doesn't mean they'll not have a go.
Last year on our back roads, one side of the lane was coned off with traffic lights. I cycled right in the middle of the open lane which was a tight car's width, and a 4x4 behind me basically took their vehicle up the verge and squashed themselves between me and the hedge to get through. The coned off bit of road was all of 30ft long :wacko:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'd suggest that the driver's thought was "can I get past the cyclist?", followed by "well, he's not riding in primary so he's left me just enough room to squeeze past".
I'd be amazed if any drivers, other than cyclists who also drive, would have any concept of primary and secondary positioning. More likely to think 'good bloke, on the left in the gutter where he should be'.

Cold

I think how can I get past this person and wait until it's safe, other times like when the cyclist came out the side road last week without looking and cut diagonally in front of my car and the car on the other side of the road I thought what a d*ck.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I see more examples of bad driving when I'm in my car than I do on my bike the difference is I am more venerable on my bike
I know one shouldn't pick on spelling errors and typos. And I realise it was probably due to autocorrect. But anyway this one did raise a smile.
:laugh::laugh:

Venerable: adj .accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character
... or use of a bicycle for transport.

I think you should only be granted a car driving license after having spent a minimum of one year (consecutive not concurrent) travelling by the following means:

A pedestrian, a pedestrian with a pram, a pedestrian with a walking aid, a bicycle, a mobility scooter, a horse rider, a moped, a motorcycle, a heavy goods vehicle, an articulated heavy goods vehicle, a tipper truck / a tanker truck, a coach, a single decker bus and a double decker bus.

After this and only after this will you have a true understanding and appreciation of what it is like to travel/drive by a means of transport other than a car or a van

Then you may apply for your car license.

As a serious answer to OPs question if you have a stressed, impatient, selfish, spoilt, ignorant me me me type of person in any of the modes of transport listed above the only thing going through their minds is funnily enough all about the needs of them and not the needs of any others.

Addressing and reversing why this personality type is becoming more prevalent in todays society is probably more of a key question than the modes of thought employed by one particular road user vs another.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4101870, member: 9609"]through his head, its made of wood and incapable of rational thought - what sort of pick-up truck was it ? Raging Bull, Warrior, Wife Beater, Barbarian, Serial Killer, Magnum, Thug, Animal,[/QUOTE]errrr.... you missed out the Dragowagon:okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
"Pick up the pace" is not always an option... if you've got 25l of shopping on board, or health problems, for example.
Just dawdling along will get motorists frustrated.
I have been at the receiving end of motorists' frustration.
Well, I can't help being older, slower, carrying shopping, having a heavy bike.
Give me segregate facilities that take me where I need to go without taking me to Timbuktu first, I will use them.

Top Bottom