What goes through the mind of a driver when they see a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wightdragon

At the top of my road is the village shop. There is no parking provision for cars. There is a 300 yd stretch that is usually a bloody nightmare around going to work/come home time. You can be in a queue of 10 cars waiting to get through.

There are cyclists who will ride through this stretch with a crocodile of cars behind them and their pace is between glacial and funereal. If I'm on my bike and have a car(s) up my arse I will pick up the pace, then give a wave of thanks for holding back.

Just dawdling along will get motorists frustrated.

Bloody cyclists.
For a whole 300 yards! More patience needed I think.

So, there are ten cars on the road and a line of parked cars, and drivers get annoyed cos the cyclist holds them up. Gotcha.

They see a lightening rod. Many are not particularly bad people who have been conditioned to hate, they have been force-fed the notion of a scapegoat upon whom they can heap the blame for all sorts of things.

Then, a pick up truck comes behinds me a squeezes past between me and the bus, forcing me in to the gutter and almost scraping my arm. ......
Ah - the old 4x4 driven by a 2x4.

claudbutler

So what goes through a drivers mind ?The same as mine i would guess when im riding my bike, can i get through there? whats that bus doing? whats for tea tonight? wish it would stop raining, non of us are perfect riders or drivers we all just have to be careful and aware of our surroundings.

boydj

Legendary Member
I was cycling along yesterday afternoon in daylight on a stretch of road that was narrower than standard width in both directions. A bus is approaching on the opposite side, and taking up almost all his side of the road as expected under the circumstance. Then, a pick up truck comes behinds me a squeezes past between me and the bus, forcing me in to the gutter and almost scraping my arm.

With all the cyclist there are, it makes me think that there must be hundreds of near miss incidents every week. Are these drivers a minority or is it actually more common than that?

You're just proving the point that the most important factor in safe cycling is the cyclist's position on the road. Leave just enough room to squeeze past and lots of drivers will do just that.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They see a lightening rod. Many are not particularly bad people who have been conditioned to hate, they have been force-fed the notion of a scapegoat upon whom they can heap the blame for all sorts of things.
To be fair, you seem pretty keen to blame motorists for all sorts of things. Mote...beam??

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, we need less of

C900NG_3103638b.jpg

and more of

1-bus_bike_lane_graphic-500.jpg

Top Bottom