What goes through the mind of a driver when they see a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was cycling along yesterday afternoon in daylight on a stretch of road that was narrower than standard width in both directions. A bus is approaching on the opposite side, and taking up almost all his side of the road as expected under the circumstance. Then, a pick up truck comes behinds me a squeezes past between me and the bus, forcing me in to the gutter and almost scraping my arm.

With all the cyclist there are, it makes me think that there must be hundreds of near miss incidents every week. Are these drivers a minority or is it actually more common than that?

Drago

Legendary Member
There are plank drivers.

There are plank cyclists.

There are planks that walk everywhere.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was cycling along yesterday afternoon in daylight on a stretch of road that was narrower than standard width in both directions. A bus is approaching on the opposite side, and taking up almost all his side of the road as expected under the circumstance. Then, a pick up truck comes behinds me a squeezes past between me and the bus, forcing me in to the gutter and almost scraping my arm.

With all the cyclist there are, it makes me think that there must be hundreds of near miss incidents every week. Are these drivers a minority or is it actually more common than that?
Many cyclists drive too, and I'm guessing you don't?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When I'm driving and I see a cyclist I think "hmmm, nice bike, too much Rapha kit though...." Or whatever way I see fit to criticise them.

But I also give bags of room, and I don't barge through a squeeze point.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
At the top of my road is the village shop. There is no parking provision for cars. There is a 300 yd stretch that is usually a bloody nightmare around going to work/come home time. You can be in a queue of 10 cars waiting to get through.

There are cyclists who will ride through this stretch with a crocodile of cars behind them and their pace is between glacial and funereal. If I'm on my bike and have a car(s) up my arse I will pick up the pace, then give a wave of thanks for holding back.

Just dawdling along will get motorists frustrated.

Bloody cyclists.

I would have thought most take care around cars.

It's a tired, stale cliche. Basically terrible drivers, idiots and people who just hate cyclists endlessly bang on about how we're all suicidal and can't wait to throw ourselves under motor vehicle wheels. It's a compelling falsehood because it offers an alibi. If you drive into a cyclist it MUST be the cyclist's fault because..they were there!

Top Bottom