What good is Alexa.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hope you realise that when the robots rise up and overthrow humanity they're going to come for you first of all.
To be their leader. I know. It’s quite common. I get 20-30 pleading messages here a day asking the same thing.

Genau

I got one to be a cheap Bluetooth speaker that could potentially do other things. Its main uses for me have been as a timer, an internet radio, bus timetable, a shopping list and for news updates. I have also added a smart plug so it now has total, terrible power over a small lamp.

Whenever I want to discuss the downfall of civilisation I go in the other room. That foils it and its nefarious GCHQ controllers.

I fear the downfall of (at least western) civilisation will come through other more subtle means - flogging people stuff and shopping and that awful word "trending" - something which Amazon and Google with their data collection are well hooked into. Was it Lenin or Marx who said that capitalists/capitalism would sell you the rope to hang themselves with?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Alexa play Bob Dylan Desire....I'm sorry i cant find that in your music library?
Alexa play Desire by Bob Dylan....i'm sorry i cant find that in your music library?

Ffs Alexa you just feckin played it!!!!!

Alexa Bob Dylan Desire....Desire by Bob Dylan starting now..
Pedantic cow:laugh:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Alexa seems to be for people who:

1. Can't be bothered to turn lights etc on & off by themselves. Instead, spend dosh on a box of tricks to do it for you.
2. Can't be bothered to decide on which music to listen to, let alone put a CD (sooo 20th century!!) on.
3. Can't be bothered to do very much, rather ask a box to do it.
4. Like the novelty of talking to a box.

While I can see the potential it has to assist the elderly, infirm or disabled, FFS people - do you really need this thing to write a shopping list?.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
HAL 9000
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Alexa...open the garage bay doors.....

I'm sorry Dave.....

Well, then you have to get inside via explosive hatch bolts, put your spacesuit on and deactivate the blasted thing. Highly inconvenient:okay:.

classic33

Leg End Member
I fear the downfall of (at least western) civilisation will come through other more subtle means - flogging people stuff and shopping and that awful word "trending" - something which Amazon and Google with their data collection are well hooked into. Was it Lenin or Marx who said that capitalists/capitalism would sell you the rope to hang themselves with?
Will it have the knot tying instructions though?

Top Bottom