What GPS watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
Hello I am new to this forum and I am looking for some avice

I am due to move house in the new year and I will have a twelve mile commute to work. I plan to cycle this route (at least 2 times a week to start with building up to 5)

this will be my transport to work but I also plan to use this as fitness training.

I want to buy a gps watch to keep track of my fitness training (or I tend to get stuck training at the same pace and do not progress). I want a watch type that I can use for running also

as a minimum I need the following

Heart rate monitor (with training zone alert)
Max heart rate recorded
Current Speed display (for cycling)
Average speed
Distance
Cycle bar mount (available as an extra)

A big bonus would be a map grid reference display but that would depend on price

I would love to hear your recommendations and experiences

Max heart rate record
Average spee
Distance

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Well I first was drawn to the forerunner range
at first the 110 looked really good and the reviews were glowing however it seems it does not have heart rate zone alarms

the 610 also looks good and is on amazon at less than £200 I am very tempted by this one

the 910xt is all singing and dancing but it is now getting very expensive

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
well no replies so far maybe these type of gps watches are used more by runners and triathletes.
I guess for a bike you can get the same info from a cycle computer for a lot less money

but as I need to run as well as bike I have ordered the forerunner 610. I will use it for running first until after I move house where I hope I can get to do more training on my bike.

I am now 42 years old and at 5' 11" and 230lb that means I am now obese. I feel I am at the stage of my life that if I do not get fit now I will just end up continuing with an un healthy lifestyle and continue to gain weight year after year until being to big will stop me doing anything active.

As well as more exercise I am now using a smartphone app to add up my calorie intake throughout the day. I know this will work if I can stick to it (in the past that has been my problem). I estimate it will take me about 6 month to reach a sensible weight.
the gps watch is probably not necessary at this stage but I see it as a treat to myself to help with motivation

Last edited:
The biggest issue is battery life.

I wanted one as a backup for the Garmin 810 and also for geotagging photos

I found that the Garmin battery life for the running watches was far too short.

Hence I looked at the mountaineering watches and the Garmin Fenix.

In the end I preferred the software and design of the Suunto and now use a Suunto Ambit with display screens that I have designed myself.... including one which shows pints earned

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Forerunner 305 will do most of what you need and nearly all of what you want. Secondhand for around £75 - £90 on fleabay (off a runner who has upgraded or given up)

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
The 305 would do the job but I have already ordered the 610 so I think I will stick with it and give it a go. Battery life on this one is up to 8 hours should be enough for recording my training (but Cunobelin is right it is not much good for anything else)

I shall post on here how I get on with it. I hope it is not a total waste of money. The interval training mode on the 610 will be good for the type of running training I do

Tommy2

Über Member
Check the 310xt, I think that does all of those thing, I have one that I am selling on here and advertised elsewhere too as I have upgraded to a 910xt
I didn't use hr alerts though but you can set hr training zones. See the for sale section if you are interested. Cheers.

Would second the 310xt from Handtec they are very good value at the moment.

Definitely add the quick release kit as it is vastly easier than the strap style bar mount that you would have to use for the 610 - I also think that the 610 doesn't have the basic navigation ability that the 310xt has (doesn't have maps but will show you which direction to go in if you create and upload a course + has back to start capability).

I purchased a cheap HRM, then a 305, then eventually a 310xt - I should have done it right first time and saved myself £100!

Hello I am new to this forum and I am looking for some avice

I am due to move house in the new year and I will have a twelve mile commute to work. I plan to cycle this route (at least 2 times a week to start with building up to 5)

this will be my transport to work but I also plan to use this as fitness training.

I want to buy a gps watch to keep track of my fitness training (or I tend to get stuck training at the same pace and do not progress). I want a watch type that I can use for running also

as a minimum I need the following

Max heart rate recorded
Average speed
Distance

A big bonus would be a map grid reference display but that would depend on price

I would love to hear your recommendations and experiences

Max heart rate record
Average spee
Distance

I have done a fair amount of research into something similar for my better half and the best I have found for the price / performance is this [couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else]:
http://www.sweatband.com/polar-rcx3-gps-heart-rate-monitor.html

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Forerunner 305 will do most of what you need and nearly all of what you want. Secondhand for around £75 - £90 on fleabay (off a runner who has upgraded or given up)

I have the Forerunner 305; I had a higher capacity battery fitted, which works for about ten hours. A great device.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I use a garmin 405 for running,does work on my bike,but I choose a dedicated garmin 800 for riding,
405 is a good bit of kit,hrm and garmin connect is great,I have used it all over Europe ,accurate and pretty bullet proof,picked up full out fit for £90 second hand

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Well I have used the 610 for 2 days now, First impressions are I do like it a lot. I have only used it for running so far so I don't know how well it will work for the bike but it is very simple to switch from running to bike mode

the bad points I read in the reviews are the strap and HRM can break I guess only time will tell

the only bad point I have found is the location is shown as lat/long and cant be setup for British grid so this feature will not be of any use to me but that was always a bonus

the fitness features cover everything I need and the Garmin connect website for uploading your workouts is excellent and a great way to see your progress

Venod

Eh up
The best purchase you can make for your watch is one of these.

http://www.runnersneed.com/pws/Uniq...gclid=CM3fgtia3bsCFSbHtAodiVQAUQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

No need for the tie wraps it stays in place with the tightness of the strap so easily transferable between bikes, I use mine with a Garmin 410, another thing I wouldn't be without is the cadence speed sensor for the rear wheel.

I leave mine in bike mode all the time and change the activity when I upload it to the comp if its running.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
The best purchase you can make for your watch is one of these.

http://www.runnersneed.com/pws/Uniq...gclid=CM3fgtia3bsCFSbHtAodiVQAUQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

No need for the tie wraps it stays in place with the tightness of the strap so easily transferable between bikes, I use mine with a Garmin 410, another thing I wouldn't be without is the cadence speed sensor for the rear wheel.

I leave mine in bike mode all the time and change the activity when I upload it to the comp if its running.

the bike mount and cadence sensor are both on my wish list. I will get these after the house move when I can get my bike on the road

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Well I have used the 610 for 2 days now, First impressions are I do like it a lot. I have only used it for running so far so I don't know how well it will work for the bike but it is very simple to switch from running to bike mode

the bad points I read in the reviews are the strap and HRM can break I guess only time will tell

the only bad point I have found is the location is shown as lat/long and cant be setup for British grid so this feature will not be of any use to me but that was always a bonus

the fitness features cover everything I need and the Garmin connect website for uploading your workouts is excellent and a great way to see your progress

My mistake it does have a British grid position display. Happy days

Top Bottom