What happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I was just doing a turbo session. I warmed up like normal, stretched, then started my first interval. At first I thought there would be no way for me to keep this effort up for more than five minutes. I finished the interval, had about a minute of recovery, then started my next interval, again I felt like I could not keep up that sort of effort for long. After 5 minutes, I thought "lets try doing another 5 without rest", after 10 minutes, I decided I may as well do another 5 minutes.

My perceived exertion level went from: Really hard -> hard -> slightly uncomfortable.

My breathing rate and depth also decreased quite a bit, however I could still feel a slight burning in my legs.

So what (physiologically) happened here? Is it time to up the intensity on my next workout?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm...were you using a HRM........that's the only way on a turbo session...perceived effort isn't what the HRM is saying....?

I hate turbos, but if I do a session, it's on HR and I keep an eye on it....

shippers

I get something similar when I'm out and about. You're getting fitter.
I'd be cautious about upping your training to do this all the time- it's quite a step up by the sound of it. Maybe one session a week?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
are you using a fan? could be you were just overheating and your body was saying, no ta. Were you well hydrated?

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

GregCollins said:
are you using a fan? could be you were just overheating and your body was saying, no ta. Were you well hydrated?

I was outside with wet clothes (someone threw water at me over a disagreement, different story!), but I felt I was at a comfortable temperature.
I also drank plenty, so I probably wasn't dehydrated.

This has been helpful, since next time I'm on the road and hurting, I know as long as I keep the effort steady, I will eventually start to feel comfortable again :angry:

Bill Gates

Some way of measuring your effort is the only way to carry out meaniingful interval training on the turbo. In a race then RPE will be the way to go as other factors come into play like preparation and adrenaline.

On the turbo a cadence and/or speed sensor for the rear wheel is what you need.

lukesdad

I find im not humming along untill Im 15-20 mins into my rides I think steve may have apoint about warming up.

Brahan

Über Member
Yeah, it sounds like you're not warming up for long enough. I've been told to warm up for up to 20 minutes and during that time there needs to be a couple of short hard efforts chucked in to really prepare the mind for the pain that's just around the corner.

Top Bottom