What has happened to my legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I don't know about everyone else, but if my Wife told me I could not cycle for 3 months, a divorce would be on the cards!

She knows this too, so wouldnt even attempt to ban me from my bikes :smile:
:rofl:

I am the better person to judge if its safe for me to cycle. Having done 5000 miles in the last year compared to her 0miles.
That would be my point exactly, although I only managed to cross the 2000 mile barrier since last August. With 142 commuting miles per week before weekend outings, I think I might just manage to break 5k this year though :thumbsup:

But back on topic, a two month break from cycling would definatley have that effect on me too. I feel it after just a week off the bike!
4 rides in the last eight weeks just isn't enough, even if 2 of them were new max distances. Still, at least I'm back in the saddle now! :bicycle:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Could definitely be having an impact, although I think just starting back up again is the primary reason for dead-legs-syndrome! I've been trying to convince myself that it wasn't the extra Snickers that I had half-an-hour before setting off last night that made the homeward journey significantly better compared to the poor morning performance.... Today, I just had the usual 2 weetabix and raisins before setting off (couldn't be bothered with porridge), but I do have another Snickers in the cupboard that might be too tempting to resist come 4 o'clock :hungry:

I never fancied it either, but the weight loss just plateaued and the cycling just wasn't losing me any more. So one of my resolutions for 2012 was to try running too, as well as being stricter about what I ate. I bought two vintage cycling tops in a Vintage Clothing shop just after Christmas too, which I'll be able to fit into if I've lost a couple of stone by Summer. Nothing motivates a Scotsman more than making sure that money won't have been wasted... :laugh:

Noodley

I save loads of cash on fuel if I cycle to work as it's a 40 mile round trip....but sometimes even for a tight git the attraction of having a rest for a few days outweighs the money.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I never fancied it either, but the weight loss just plateaued and the cycling just wasn't losing me any more. So one of my resolutions for 2012 was to try running too, as well as being stricter about what I ate. I bought two vintage cycling tops in a Vintage Clothing shop just after Christmas too, which I'll be able to fit into if I've lost a couple of stone by Summer. Nothing motivates a Scotsman more than making sure that money won't have been wasted... :laugh:
I'm quite sure you'll get into those Vintage tops sometime in the Spring :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I save loads of cash on fuel if I cycle to work as it's a 40 mile round trip....but sometimes even for a tight git the attraction of having a rest for a few days outweighs the money.
Given that my round trip is 28.5 miles, I should be saving loads of money not using the car.... the reality is, I'm not sure I've even broken even yet!! :blush: Since last July I've bought a bike, summer clothes, rack and pannier, tubes and tools, winter clothes, lights, tyres, brake pads etc..etc.. Oh, and I mustn't forget N+1 (s/h MTB), and the fact that I'm needing a new jacket, gloves and probably bib longs too...

Then there's maintenance. This week my rear end has been making that slightly gritty noise under braking that I know is chewing my rims. Given my commute conditions and route, my wheels always get filthy (especially at this time of year), and I'm wearing out my second set of pads pretty quickly it would seem – plus I don't seem to have a very pronounced groove in my rims that I'm sure used to be there (wear indicator?) so there's a good possibility I'll be in the market for a new set of rims in the not too distant future. Of course, wearing down rims after only 2000 miles is making me seriously think about a disc-equipped commuter :whistle:

BSRU

A Human Being
Given that my round trip is 28.5 miles, I should be saving loads of money not using the car.... the reality is, I'm not sure I've even broken even yet!! :blush: Since last July I've bought a bike, summer clothes, rack and pannier, tubes and tools, winter clothes, lights, tyres, brake pads etc..etc.. Oh, and I mustn't forget N+1 (s/h MTB), and the fact that I'm needing a new jacket, gloves and probably bib longs too...

Then there's maintenance. This week my rear end has been making that slightly gritty noise under braking that I know is chewing my rims. Given my commute conditions and route, my wheels always get filthy (especially at this time of year), and I'm wearing out my second set of pads pretty quickly it would seem – plus I don't seem to have a very pronounced groove in my rims that I'm sure used to be there (wear indicator?) so there's a good possibility I'll be in the market for a new set of rims in the not too distant future. Of course, wearing down rims after only 2000 miles is making me seriously think about a disc-equipped commuter :whistle:
I do not think I have ever saved any money as I always seem to need something replaced, see something I want to buy or see something I do not need but would like to have. Every month I say to myself "no bike related purchases this month" but so far I have failed every month.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I do not think I have ever saved any money as I always seem to need something replaced, see something I want to buy or see something I do not need but would like to have. Every month I say to myself "no bike related purchases this month" but so far I have failed every month.
I could argue that I've needed everything I've bought so far, but I doubt it would wash... ^_^

Given that I do actually need a new jacket and gloves (really, I do) and might well require new rims shortly, I think it would be pointless to even humour the idea of "no bike purchases this month". Or next. Or April for that matter :blush:

Top Bottom