What have I done wrong this time (Part 2)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Part 1 is here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-i-done-wrong-this-time.191406/

So part 2 is my rear tyre. Got a puncture, checked for sharp bits, change the tube, made sure of no twist or pinches, inflated it with a co2 cart and it looks like the tyre has failed again.

Had to ride on it.

image.jpeg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Deflate inner tube, push the valve up into the tyre then push the tyre down so it seats itself, inflate inner tube. It hasn't failed.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Deflate inner tube, push the valve up into the tyre then push the tyre down so it seats itself, inflate inner tube. It hasn't failed.

Shame I only had a CO2 cart then(!)

Cheers - it has reseated but without a pump I can't reinflate it...

It was seated properly before I attached the cartridge, why would it lift up like that?

earlestownflya

could be a defective tyre....seems to have come a long way away from the rim...over a great distance.never quite seen anything like it..is the tyre slack when you fit it?.....is there any damage to the inside rim?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Shame I only had a CO2 cart then(!)

Cheers - it has reseated but without a pump I can't reinflate it...

It was seated properly before I attached the cartridge, why would it lift up like that?

It wasn't seated properly. Get an inflater where you can control the amount and speed of inflation.
Oh yes, and always carry a pump even if you carry C02

could be a defective tyre....seems to have come a long way away from the rim...over a great distance.never quite seen anything like it..is the tyre slack when you fit it?.....is there any damage to the inside rim?
No it's not a defective tyre. The tyre wasn't seated properly It was just inflated too quick with C02.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm getting halfords to put on a new Gatorskin anyway, I've found the hole in the Vitoria and the tube so I'll repair them as spares.

So lesson is to check its seated properly.

lpretro1

if you've whacked 10psi in there then it's exactly what I'd expect to see - you just didn't seat the tyre bead properly - nowt wrong with tyre. Once you have fitted a tube you need to work all around the rim to ensure the bead is pressed under the little raised edge on inside of rim. Then inflate SLOWLY to about 40 psi and check that it is seated all round. If not deflate a bit and seat it again. Slowly ,slowly is the answer not full gas...and a good idea to carry a couple of CO2 cartridges not just one and best have an inflator where you can control the flow of gas

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
if you've whacked 10psi in there then it's exactly what I'd expect to see - you just didn't seat the tyre bead properly - nowt wrong with tyre. Once you have fitted a tube you need to work all around the rim to ensure the bead is pressed under the little raised edge on inside of rim. Then inflate SLOWLY to about 40 psi and check that it is seated all round. If not deflate a bit and seat it again. Slowly ,slowly is the answer not full gas...and a good idea to carry a couple of CO2 cartridges not just one and best have an inflator where you can control the flow of gas

Is that a valve on the cart adapter or do you mean s mini pump?

I got the cart for races, don't mind a pump for commutes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
lpetro means 100psi (in his first phrase). +1 to a (small) pump (or maybe a valve controlled CO2 inflator) at all times - as your experience with 'banging in a CO2 cartridge' has amply illustrated to yourself and any others who read this thread. No surprise that the bead came off where it did - think about the early pneumatic effect. I'll bet you did not partially (even a tiny bit) inflate the inner before installing it (how could you? - no pump and lungs not strong enough). Thank you for sharing, Tin Pot, nevertheless.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
lpetro means 100psi (in his first phrase). +1 to a (small) pump (or maybe a valve controlled CO2 inflator) at all times - as your experience with 'banging in a CO2 cartridge' has amply illustrated to yourself and any others who read this thread. No surprise that the bead came off where it did - think about the early pneumatic effect. I'll bet you did not partially (even a tiny bit) inflate the inner before installing it (how could you? - no pump and lungs not strong enough). Thank you for sharing, Tin Pot, nevertheless.

Yeah I partially inflate with lungs before putting it in or using a cart

Got a pocket pump now too

ayceejay

Guru
when you buy the new tube can I suggest you get one with a shorter valve stem ( say 42 - 50) and while you are at it replace tour brake blocks and clean your rims.

Top Bottom