What have I done wrong this time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
As per previous thread on valves snapping I put in a new Conti tube last night. Rode in his morning and noticed this after an hour:

image.jpeg

It blew out about ten minutes later.

I patched it.

Did another hour and a half before it blew out again.

I'm taking it to Halfords soon, in case the wheel is fecked.

Did I fit the tube poorly? Or is this road damage?

Time for a new bike!

Was it the right size tube for the tyre/wheel?

Was it an old/worn tyre?

Was the tube twisted?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Do you have any idea how the Vittoria logo got rubbed out? It looks like part of the tyre has been scratched off, and whatever happened may have damaged the tyre. If there's no rough edging, burrs or any irregularities on the wheel rim and inside the rim then the wheel should be fine.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
A tube can never survive a hole in the tyre, and that is what it looks like you have in your picture. The tube will just balloon out of the hole like a bubble gum bubble, and go pop very loudly. I'm amazed it lasted 10 minutes, normally that kind of situation ends badly within seconds.

If it's a tyre hole I suspect:
1. Sharp edge on rim wore the hole.
2. Badly adjusted brake block wore a hole.
3. Old age.
4. Tyre is too wide for rim and rubs on rim excessively (usually only happens on MTBs)

As per previous thread on valves snapping I put in a new Conti tube last night. Rode in his morning and noticed this after an hour:

View attachment 110562

It blew out about ten minutes later.

I patched it.

Did another hour and a half before it blew out again.

I'm taking it to Halfords soon, in case the wheel is fecked.

Did I fit the tube poorly? Or is this road damage?
Did I miss something, or did you get back on the bike when the tyre was bulging like that? It was bound to go bang very shortly.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
they are crap tyres anyway.
@slowmotion suffered similar with same tyres.
Yes indeed. It was on a night ride. The tyre exploded with a very loud bang while I was going at little more than walking pace. Fortunately Ian, Adrian and other kind souls came up with a temporary solution that held out to our breakfast destination. I moved on to Rubinos after that and have not had a problem since. Great tyres for under a tenner a piece.

Edit: My tyre was bulging horribly before it went bang.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes indeed. It was on a night ride. The tyre exploded with a very loud bang while I was going at little more than walking pace. Fortunately Ian, Adrian and other kind souls came up with a temporary solution that held out to our breakfast destination. I moved on to Rubinos after that and have not had a problem since. Great tyres for under a tenner a piece.

Edit: My tyre was bulging horribly before it went bang.

Yeah I put a rubino on the back. Only one tyre because I assumed they came in sets like socks when I ordered it..!

No rubinos in the shop so it's a Gatorskin front now.

Top Bottom