What have I done wrong this time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yeah I put a rubino on the back. Only one tyre because I assumed they came in sets like socks when I ordered it..!

No rubinos in the shop so it's a Gatorskin front now.
Just watch the Gator in the wet for the first week...let it scrub up, i always find mine quite shitterish when new. After a few miles, no problems.

What choice did I have?
Not riding it like that. You might have been able to make a tyre boot with a fiver (I've done that) or a discard wrapper. If that didn't work, then
  • walk
  • Call a friend
  • call a cab
  • find a train station
Whatever you would do if you found yourself with an unrideable bicycle. Anything but riding on a tyre that is about to have a catastrophic deflation.

Glad it worked out ok. All's well that ends well :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Not riding it like that. You might have been able to make a tyre boot with a fiver (I've done that) or a discard wrapper. If that didn't work, then
  • walk
  • Call a friend
  • call a cab
  • find a train station
Whatever you would do if you found yourself with an unrideable bicycle. Anything but riding on a tyre that is about to have a catastrophic deflation.

Glad it worked out ok. All's well that ends well :smile:

Nah, I just braced myself for it. Harden the whatever.

I had 20 miles to work and 10 miles home. No train routes, traffic making taxis a joke - not that they would take me.

After the tube blew I patched it and cycled on. :biggrin:

The patch blew off as I was downhilling it, but only 500m from work so I slid and skipped about on the pavement the rest of the way!

When you put and inner tube one:
Ensure the valve points radially towards the hub.
Check the rim tape is secure.
Check valve hole, rim joints for sharp burr.
Put the tyre on starting at the valve position.
Push the whole valve into the rim to seat the tyre bead. Pull the valve back out and secure with the nut if you wan to.

Before you inflate, check the bead seat in around the valve, and if necessary, push valve in to seat bead.

Anyway, for next time http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/mai...enance-quick-fixes.html/3#AxSq2U8zwft0GuhV.97

tyre-boot3.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yeah I put a rubino on the back. Only one tyre because I assumed they came in sets like socks when I ordered it..!
Hahaha, even me when I was so dumb that I thought bike tyres were all a solid block knew they come singly.
Glad you're ok and didn't have an off.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If you were happy with Zaffiros at the front you'll probably be fine with Gatorskins. I took Zaffiros off one bike because I found them skittish (though I think the new spelling is shitterish), particularly on wet ironworks even heading in a straight line.

I'm still interested in what took that slice of rubber off where the Vittoria logo once was. Whatever it was that happened could have done more out-of-sight damage at the time. Now in sight, obviously.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
If you were happy with Zaffiros at the front you'll probably be fine with Gatorskins. I took Zaffiros off one bike because I found them skittish (though I think the new spelling is shitterish), particularly on wet ironworks even heading in a straight line.

I'm still interested in what took that slice of rubber off where the Vittoria logo once was. Whatever it was that happened could have done more out-of-sight damage at the time. Now in sight, obviously.

I hadn't noticed that actually - so maybe it was road damage after all...

The occasional run-of-the-mill pot hole is all I can think of, nothing huge.

The only significant change are the race blades I put on, but they weren't rubbing, and the commute route.

Found a pic from two weeks ago, logo is there...

image.jpeg

I had to cycle through a really muddy wet field last week in the dark. I could've sustained damage then.

Top Bottom