What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This afternoon, rather than risking the post, an eBay seller delivered a frameset in person. Nice man. As was the buyer of a wheel who'd travelled over from Wigan for it. I've had two lovely conversations about vintage bikes, seen a Dayton that's to be restored and put the world to rights.

Oh, the frame?

It's a Raleigh Special Products Division - date approx. 1991? according to here - with 653 tubing, a Campagnolo Record headset, Campag Record 1010/B fork ends and a Shimano Hollowtech bottom bracket. Frame number B48007. I'd seen the one @Jameshow had listed but it was a bit too big; this is a 21" frameset.

PXL_20240506_133958232.jpg

PXL_20240506_134018998.jpg

No clue what I'll do with it yet, but I liked the look. And the purchase price.

Also picked up a new Conti GP5000 as I used up two yesterday morning.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I paid £23 last week on Amazon, but that did include delivery.

I just ordered 4 pairs of brake blocks from DiscoBrakes for my CAAD5 (oldest, but best bike). 4 pairs were going for a reasonable £16.99 (which is why I ordered the spare couple of pairs) but then I spotted a discount code which currently gives 20% off - SPRINGRIDE.
I mentioned to a pal that I was annoyed that the brake shoes on my other Yorkshire road bike take different blocks, which means splashing out on even more blocks for that bike. He just solved the problem by donating these to me...

1000000842.jpg

I confirmed that my new blocks fit, and there is plenty of life left in the current blocks shown in the photo. When the blocks on bike #2 wear out I will swap in these new shoes/blocks and from then on share the same stash of spares.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I knew it would happen.

Two weeks ago I bought a 1986 Halfords folding bike. Last week I replaced the dodgy seatpost for a safe one.

Now I've bought an aluminium front wheel, to replace the original steel one, to improve the braking. I've also started browsing Tektro long drop calipers. It's a slippery slope and I'm on it!

20240506_123729.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
This afternoon, rather than risking the post, an eBay seller delivered a frameset in person. Nice man. As was the buyer of a wheel who'd travelled over from Wigan for it. I've had two lovely conversations about vintage bikes, seen a Dayton that's to be restored and put the world to rights.

Oh, the frame?

It's a Raleigh Special Products Division - date approx. 1991? according to here - with 653 tubing, a Campagnolo Record headset, Campag Record 1010/B fork ends and a Shimano Hollowtech bottom bracket. Frame number B48007. I'd seen the one @Jameshow had listed but it was a bit too big; this is a 21" frameset.

View attachment 729836

View attachment 729837

No clue what I'll do with it yet, but I liked the look. And the purchase price.

Also picked up a new Conti GP5000 as I used up two yesterday morning.

Much nicer colours!

Jameshow

Veteran
I have just been to Tod Aldi. They had a multi-tool for £4.99, less than a quarter of what the Crank Bros tool cost me. The CB tool is definitely better, but if you want a cheaper tool check your local Aldi! (They also have cheap track pumps etc. in.)

I have same in my tool pouch and track pump in van..

johnblack

Über Member
Eagle NX chain ring, chain and a Barzo XC 29" tyre, tan wall because it was the cheapest.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Technically I've not actually paid for these yet as, due to the way Paypal collects from my bank & the public holiday, the money's not yet been taken - Campagnolo Calima C17s from Halfords for the Triban flat bar conversion.
New wheels.jpg

And thanks to the interest from a savings payout, I've also just ordered from various places...
4 x brake cables
2 x 11 speed chains
1 pair of brake pads
A SRAM Rival right hand shifter/brake unit
2 x HG700 cassettes

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I realised a few weeks ago that the bottom bracket on the Mountain bike was feeling a little rough, so I purchased a new one. Unfortunately it was a SRAM DUB BSA bracket, which I then realised I didn't have a tool for, so I then purchased one of those. Then reading through the tech docs, I realised that the crankset needed 54 nm of torque to reinstall. Now my other bike runs a Race Face crank that is currently giving me a lot of grief, because the retaining bolt keeps working loose, long story short, I think I've goosed it because I failed to torque it up to the 61 nm it requires on re-assembly.

So this is all a long winded way of saying that I've finally descended down the rabbit hole of looking at Torque wrenches and purchased a 10 - 110 nm torque wrench for all of the high torque fasteners, it should be here on Friday. It's not a massive fancy pants digital one, but a hopefully descent click style wrench that should help avoid causing any more damage in the future. Hopefully I can also now start to look at replacing that bottom bracket!

buzz22

Über Member
Screenshot_20240508_220247_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ordered a couple of sets of these to fit the Shimano RSX cranksets on my Repco and my Cannondale.
The 34/50 front on both bikes (to replace 36/46 on both bikes) will give me the range of gears I'm after and hopefully allow me on my 80's and 90's bikes to keep pace with my mates on more modern bikes with modern gearing.
Both sets including delivery to Australia from SJS Cycles in the UK for just over $70 AUD, a bargain.

Top Bottom