What have you done, that you haven’t.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve just been alerted to something that made me spit my coffee out laughing.

Someone who shares my name ( same spelling as well, which is quite unusual), did something naughty, and ended up in court, and the story ended up in a local rag, which is in a place 200 miles away from me, which I’ve never even heard of:laugh:. What have you done recently that you weren’t aware of?

tom73

Guru
About 2 or 3 years ago a bloke knock on our door. when I went to the door he asked me if so and so lived here. So I told him yes I do. Then he said dad's name x. Yes I said. Turned out he was a reporter from a national newspaper covering a national story of a woman who had just been jailed for being a serial rape accuser of men. Anyway it was not me so it turn's out in my area I not only have a namesake but we have dad's with the same name too. (Not the same dad my namesake is too old)

Mix up with namesake has come up again since.

Jimidh

Veteran
Once had the police buzz my entry system in the middle of the night when I lived in a tenement block in Edinburgh.

I let them in and then had them bashing my door so I opened it and they all piled in.

Turns out they were looking for the lad in the flat above who shared the same surname with me.

Entertaining but could have done without being knocked out of my bed.

Gary E

Veteran
I once went to see a doctor on a routine matter and, after studying my notes, he asked how I was getting on with the new tablets. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as I wasn't taking any. He then started talking about some results that had come back from my blood test. Again this was a bit of a surprise as I hadn't given any blood. It turned out that he had the wrong notes. The other guy not only shared my first name and surname but also had the same middle initial and was born in the same month and year!!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I went to a funeral where I knew the minister quite well. We had been chatting beforehand and had arranged to meet afterwards which might explain why he opened the service with "We are gathered here today to celebrate the life of" and named me!

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I was most disappointed in my particular name sake, as the headline in the local rag was talking about several ‘in court’ cases, including getting done for soliciting a sexual act from an individual, and another individual was convicted of beating someone with a golf club, in the same court session. My namesake’s crime was fairly dull.

Not quite as funny, but....

In the early 90's when I first started MTB racing, & CX-ing, I was often challenged when signing in

"You look older in real life"
"Changed Clubs?"
"Not riding for the Sponsor?"
You're bigger than you look in the magazines"
"Is your brother also racing?"
"Can you get me a discount, on a new bike, from Adrian?"
"What was it like riding the World Championship, in Roundhay Park. almost 'on your doorstep'?"

Etc....
It didn't help much that I rode the same bike as him, initially unbeknownst to me

From the first day, I first met my namesake, plus his brother & parents, I've counted them as friends
Even now, when I see them (which the last few times were at fell-races, as namesake also does it) I've had a hug from his mother
The only difference, barring age, is my surname is with an e, his isn't

Some of you will know who I refer to, but here's the pair of us, at St Ives Institute (Bingley, West Yorkshire), for a NEMBA event, circa 1991 - 1992

1990s. Mountain Bike. Pace Research.  'Twins'.jpg

Here, in 2016, again at Bingley (but another part of the town) for the http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/events/harriers-vs-cyclists/
2016. Harriers v Cyclists. 2.jpg

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Something similar,St Jim's hospital Leeds.The staff were extra good to me,even the Matron stopped and had a few words.Then during the check in/up thing.I was asked where did i practise, practise what.The penny dropped they had got me and another bloke mixed up he was further up the ward and was a Doctor having treatment,i never did get an explanation.

Top Bottom