What have you done, that you haven’t.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Had a knock on the door years ago. It was the police. They had arrested someone who admitted to stealing a drill from my garage then they asked me to come to the station and identify it.
I announced my name at the desk and was told "stay right there".
Turned out that me, the criminal and the arresting officer had exactly the same names.

steverob

Guru
I used to regularly get chased up for credit card debts and unpaid water or electricity bills that had been run up by someone in Colne, Lancashire that shared the same first and last name as me. After many complaints I eventually got to the bottom of it - it turns out the debt collectors were accessing Experian's records and this other guy, despite living about 200 miles away, had been linked to me, not just because of our name, but also we had the exact same date of birth (year as well)!

Interestingly Experian hadn't linked anything else about us (my credit record was completely normal for example), so I got them to put in a note on their files making sure that searchers knew the two records were completely separate and all of a sudden the letters stopped arriving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I guess I’m lucky in that my doppelgänger doesn’t share my date of birth, or my location, some people seem to have the same D.O.B, and even live in the same building by the looks of it:laugh:.

I used to ride BMW motorcycles and had two of them. I only commuted and toured. Friends and colleagues used to know me as the bike guy. Then there was a guy with the same name and surname as me, who raced BMW motorcycles. He was quite good and quite famous. I often got asked why I race, which of course, I didn't. (I once even got asked for an autograph, which I gave.) He eventually died in a crash and many people thought I was dead. But, the devil is in the detail, he had three N's in his surname, I only have two. Also, I'm still alive, much to the chagrin of some.

Then, many years later another person with my name, this time the exact same spelling, arrived. By then I was racing MTBs on the amateur circuit. He too. I never met him or knew what he looked like, but our paths crossed several times. One year I booked a flight to a race destination. He too, on the same flight. When I tried to check in, they said I'm already checked in and they would not believe me. I even lost the cost of that flight and didn't have the energy to take the company to court. I'm pretty sure, although I never confirmed, what happened. I know he was at the same race because the daily results board featured both of us.

But I got my revenge on him.

As it happened, we were both at the same race again. This was a multi-stage, multi-day week-long high-profile affair with worldwide television coverage and lots of publicity. The year before this particular race, I didn't race due to an injury just before the race. Since I already booked my flights and hotel and hire car, I volunteered to help out on the race. One of the television cameramen who knew me, discovered that I was servicing oranges and Powerade to the racers. He did a mock interview with me on the "taste profile" of purple Powerade (the flavour that looks like meths) and somehow this little snippet got on TV. I did a mock wine tasting skit, complete with swirling and spitting and declared it somewhat "methsy", but good. Let's say it went viral, before going viral was invented. It was played at several race briefings during that year.

powerade-berry-and-tropical-fruit-flavour-milk-drink-12x500ml-case_temp.jpg

BTW, this is a long story. Keep your wits about you.

The following year when I had recovered, I entered that race again. One night I decided not to eat in the race tent, but to go into town for a pizza instead. Up comes the MC, calls MY NAME and up goes my doppelganger who stole my seat on the plane. Get gets onto stage and is asked to do a tasting and comment on four different flavours of Powerade and decide which one is the Powerade of the month.

He had no backstory to the "tasting", was very shy and completely fluffed it. The MC didn't know he wasn't the right guy either and it was a right mess. I heard about it the next day only.

There you have it. I once signed an autograph on behalf of a famous motorcyclist (I did put PP at the end though), I died spectacularly in a parallel world and I was absent at the highlight of my fame.

gbb

Legendary Member
My namesake is a prolific cartoonist who's work has been regularly seen in Punch, Titbits, The Sun, Daily Mirror, Whizzer and Chips, Beano, Private Eye etc etc etc.
I'm good at drawing....but not that good.

classic33

Leg End Member
Been accused/named as the father of a child when the mother was pressed to name the father.

Unknown to her, and the people chasing me and her solicitor, the required parts were lost to cancer some years before the birth of the child.

Still unknown why she decided to name me as the father. But she was allowed to repeat it once more, before being informed it wasn't possible. Medical records backed me up in what I was saying.

Cavalol

Guru
Once accused of stabbing someone by a copper who was more drunk than I was. His colleagues told me to ignore him and dragged him away.

Another time I apparently held up an off-licence with a needle full of infected blood. The fact I still had the train and football tickets plus programme and enough people to prove where I was didn’t seem to make any difference to the copper.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Once had the bailiffs turn up asking about the previous tenant who had the same first and last names as myself. I told them this and pointed out our middle names were different but just got a rude 'yeah we've heard that one before mate' reply. It was only when I showed them my passport that they were satisfied and went off in a huff without an apology (once they'd removed their foot from my front door). I know they were only doing their job but a sorry for calling me a liar would have been nice!

Been accused/named as the father of a child when the mother was pressed to name the father.

Unknown to her, and the people chasing me and her solicitor, the required parts were lost to cancer some years before the birth of the child.

Still unknown why she decided to name me as the father. But she was allowed to repeat it once more, before being informed it wasn't possible. Medical records backed me up in what I was saying.

That puts a completely new twist on the old virgin birth story. You can go places with that line.
I can also see your "son" bragging in the playground that "my daddy is so strong that..."

spen666

Legendary Member
Once had the police buzz my entry system in the middle of the night when I lived in a tenement block in Edinburgh.

I let them in and then had them bashing my door so I opened it and they all piled in.

Turns out they were looking for the lad in the flat above who shared the same surname with me.

Entertaining but could have done without being knocked out of my bed.

What days did you have the surname and what days did he have it?

Top Bottom