What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got the third hanger on the wall of the basement:

View attachment 724561

Right to left, it's my wife's current bike, the Giant, the Micro awaiting its parts, and at the front, on the stand is the Favorit.

Speaking of the Giant, finished fixing it up, and now must decide what to do with it. I suspect I'm just leaving it there on the wall, maybe I'll use it for commute, I dunno.

I also tried figuring out how to make some order of the tools. Right now the idea is to put them like this, on this sheet of plywood:

View attachment 724562

I think I'll do that, use that for a while to see how convenient that is, before coming up with anything more sophisticated/labor intensive.

What's the one top left?

dimrub

What's the one top left?

Spoke tension meter

Jenkins

Legendary Member
FFS yet another snapped chain link on the 29er - this is the 2nd time on this chain in under 2000 miles and that's without any strenuous riding. Thankfully it went in town so I was able to push out the broken link and attach another quick link.
See the picture below - you can see where one side is bent and the other which gave way.
IMG_20240316_120800294_HDR.jpg

Tom B

Guru
FFS yet another snapped chain link on the 29er - this is the 2nd time on this chain in under 2000 miles and that's without any strenuous riding. Thankfully it went in town so I was able to push out the broken link and attach another quick link.
See the picture below - you can see where one side is bent and the other which gave way.
View attachment 724596

What chain is it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A bit more work on the Woodrup this evening; first I took the Dura-Ace 7900 front brake off my NeilPryde Bayamo TT bike after today's time trial, swapping that for a Dura-Ace 9000 brake. Carbon / aluminium pads swapped as well.

Then that front brake went onto the Woodrup so they now match. Also, I've added a Dura-Ace 9000 bottom bracket and a Dura-Ace 7900 crankset's on plus Dura-Ace 9100 pedals. Rather than the grey/silver cable outers which were there I've gone for red because a) I already have 30 metres of red gear cable outer and b) buying 2 metres of red brake outer was cheaper than an entire set of outers in silver. If I don't like them then I'll go back to silver or do them in white instead. Brake outer/inners done but I'm leaving the gear cables until fully awake tomorrow. Then it's chain and bar tape. There may also be a bottle cage change for something similarly aged but with red bits on. Progress photo:

PXL_20240316_201444962.jpg

Edit: I've noticed the front wheel is a different way round to the rear in the photo. It isn't now!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
reset the front shifter on the yellow boardman as it was not shifting up and if i increased cable tension it was rubbing on the easiest gear so i loosened the cable and id it from scratch , then a bit of fine tuning to the latest build after a shake down ride as the rear low stop needing tweaking and the saddle needed to go 5 mm forward

Jameshow

Veteran
I fettled a Record 43 plough plane inherited from my FIL...........

Oooops, wrong forum. :smile:

Jacob says you sharpened it wrong..!🤣🤣🤣

If you know you know...!!

EckyH

Changed the worn down CN-HG53 after less than 2000km (despite at least weekly care with new lube and twice a week wiping off the oily grime) with a waxed new chain on the commuter. Fortunately on the first glance and and a short test ride the rest of the drivetrain is still in useable condition.

And while cleaning the rims I noticed that on the rear wheel:
IMG_20240317_125618.jpg

... on at least 15 places, all on the right side of the (not so much tensioned) drive side spokes. The 16. place - of which I suspect to look similar - is hidden under the "HALO" sticker...

Blimey.

E.

CXRAndy

Guru
I built up my 20t hydraulic press I'd recently bought. I immediately swapped out the mechanical bottle jack for an air to hydraulic jack.

It's a simple frame design with a need for improving in certain respects

I also need to start building a stash of drifts and tubes for pressing things.

I may also make a set of jaws for folding thin sheet steel for making boxes or metal covers

I built up my 20t hydraulic press I'd recently bought. I immediately swapped out the mechanical bottle jack for an air to hydraulic jack.

It's a simple frame design with a need for improving in certain respects

I also need to start building a stash of drifts and tubes for pressing things.

I may also make a set of jaws for folding thin sheet steel for making boxes or metal covers

Must see some photo evidence.

Top Bottom