What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Took the Renown out yesterday, first this year, one or other of us seems to have changed shape :-)
Bars up a touch, saddle back a touch, let’s see if my legs are any happier next time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whilst giving the commuter a good clean i noticed the rear rim has split around a spoke hole , i dont have a spare 135 old rear disc 700 c wheel so i had to set up the latest project bike for commuting duties next week . :sad:
I will have to wait for payday before looking around for a replacement wheel as its been an expensive month , partly wiggles fault and family birthdays etc.
After that i replaced the chain on the alloy boardman as it was ready for a new one and bunged it on the turbo just to check that the cassette was ok, feels good on there but we shall see tomorrow on the road.

geocycle

Legendary Member
My 18 year old Rohloff hub had been away to Thorn SJS for some TLC after starting to leak. They replaced seals and other components under what they termed a revision. It came back like a new hub with a 2 year guarantee. Wheel slotted back in fine but had to sort the brakes as the compound was too harsh for the new rim. Then fixed the tubeless tyre on the spa elan which had exploded last weekend and had a tube installed as a temporary fix in the damaged tyre to cover commuting duties while the Thorn was away. I puta new tubeless tyre on the elan that miraculously sat on the rim first time, it did go down while dry, but hopefully the sealant will do the business. It really needs a ride to spread the sealant around properly. Finally, I put new sealant in the tyres of the spa audax which is about to come out of winter hibernation. Time for a cuppa.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Rebuilding main recumbent after powder coat. Drive train tomorrow, then bottle cages, mudguards, lights etc. Have new orange bar tape to fit once everything else done and hands clean.

IMG_3157.jpeg

Rebuilding main recumbent after powder coat. Drive train tomorrow, then bottle cages, mudguards, lights etc. Have new orange bar tape to fit once everything else done and hands clean.

View attachment 725266

A design classic of the recumbent world. Doubt many here in the UK, so quite a rarity.
Where will you be riding it? - can imagine it to be well suited to towpaths with some decent off-road rubber :okay:

Willd

Veteran
As I've done nearly 10,000 miles on it, a bit of fettling was long past due :okay:

Gear changes had been a bit dodgy, which might be explained by:

P1000149.JPG

P1000153.JPG

P1000154.JPG

Might be a bit faster now:whistle:
P1000150.JPG

P1000155.JPG

Got rid of some rust too :smile:
P1000148.JPG

So, rear quick release cleaned and greased, new cassette, new pulleys, new chain, new rear gear cable, rear derailleur thoroughly cleaned, both barrel adjusters were solid, so stripped and greased those too. Also straightened the hanger, which was surprisingly not far out, so my previous bend by eye fix when the bike blew over in the wind couldn't have been far off ^_^

Last edited:

EckyH

Yesterday: Cleansed an old Enik Makalu frame, applied some rust converter where necessarily and tinkered with hammertone finish.
Today: cleansed the Campagnolo Record crank set for that frame, "converted" it to single chain ring, installed the bottom bracket and the crank set, seat post, head set, quill stem, handlebar and the brake levers.

E.

dimrub

I finally put the Skadis board on the wall, and populated it with some of my tools:
_zvl2B7r9uhOOBCqKq0=w1688-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The IKEA hooks are as bad as the board itself good. However, my new 3D printer has arrived yesterday, so I hope to replace the hooks with per-tool dedicated printed holders. Also, I have a second board which I planned to put right above this one, but there's a snag: there appears to be a steel plate there, the room, after all, being a bomb shelter. My drill started sending sparks, that's how I knew. Perhaps I'll hang it diagonally instead, atop the first one.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The cable pull amount of 9 and 10 speed rear derailleurs has changed. Previously the speed was set by the shifter not the derailleur. I’ve had to install this inline Jtek shiftmate simple pulley to ”correct” the cable pull to get a 10 speed RD working with my 9 speed shifter and cassette. Works very well and all 9 cogs are now available again at the back.

IMG_3174.jpeg

Top Bottom