What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Built this up today… Trek Madone SLR something or other… $4000 paint option took the price tag to a touch over 20 large.

I’ve never been so afraid of scratching a bike!

IMG_0226.jpeg

CXRAndy

Guru
Snazzy bike, hope you've insured it well for accidental damage

newts

Veteran
Had to use some extra leverage on the 8mm hex key to remove the crank bolt.
Praxis M30 bottom brackets are really sh*t, the NDS bearing has failed again after <1000 miles.
Recently acquired an 2nd hand Ultegra crankset so can now use Shimano BB & bin all the Praxis crap.
1712218319858.jpeg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I guess this kinda-sorta counts as a build...
As delivered
Summerhouse 1.jpg

Unwrapped and massive wood
summerhouse 2.jpg
After much use of drill and screwdriver
summerhouse 3.jpg

summerhouse 4.jpg

The instructions warned you not to stand on the roof while felting it.
It's GOT to have happened!
summerhouse 5.jpg
Teal blue and cream paint applied

summerhouse 6.jpg

Inside painted, artwork on walls and LED stick-on lights stuck on. There's a small recess above the doors where a USB powerbank lives to run the lights.
On the left wall is a 200 cm Hokusai fabric print - 'Great Wave at Kanagawa' and on the right are some metal 'Guardian Angel' wings from a garden centre.

summerhouse 7.jpg
Tented ceiling, made of a 200 cm square of white polycotton.
Because OSB looks awful even when it's painted.

The summerhouse itself is 7 feet square, pressure-treated T&G, with an OSB roof and 4mm safety glass.
It cost £749 including delivery, and would have been a lot easier to build with help!
On reflection, I should have covered the underside of the roof with fabric before fitting it, painted the roof support members before fitting the roof, and maybe not have painted the rest of the inside. Still, it looks pretty good IMHO.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Redid a shiftmate cable thread after cable jumped losing gears. Ordered an 11 speed shifter with friction mode. I don’t think the shiftmate is ideal for fixing gear cable issues at side of road. The newer bar end shifters just have bigger barrels to give more cable pull to match modern RD needs,

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
I

Id prefer a Ribble any day...!🤣🤣🤣

Whenever something like this passes through my hands I look at the price and think happily of my “saved from the scrap heap” Centurion.
IMG_0082.jpeg

dhd.evans1

@cyberknight kindly sent me a SRAM Apex 10spd short cage mech to replace my bollocksed long cage version. After some consultation with the mechanics at work about what i might have to change on the drivetrain because i was swapping long to short cage i figured i had enough knowledge.

Cleaned the mech in the parts washer and then proceeded to uninstall my long cage mech and install the short cage. Chain off, also cleaned because i was at the parts washer, old mech off and new mech on. Chain back on and lubed. Reset the barrel adjuster, unset the limit screws and then proceeded to set the limits and index the gears. Surprisingly the chain didn't require shortening (although some will argue it probably should have) and everything came together in about 30mins.

Rode my bike home over 12mi testing the gears and everything seems to be a-ok.

Sometimes i surprise myself.

Top Bottom