What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Worked with son no. 2 prepping his bikes for tomorrow's race. Ridley Noah Fast and Cervelo S3 ready for the Bradfield Bash 2/3/4 race, which has a tough course.

We also worked on his BeOne Raw training bike as it's developed an annoying squeak. Having removed the right-hand bottom bracket cup, which was rough, the left-hand one wouldn't come out. I broke two plastic Shimano tools trying to remove it before giving up: it's fine and it'll go to someone stronger than me when it needs changing. New right-hand in and the bike's had a thorough clean. New brake pads needed so they've been ordered.

I then started working on the Trek 2200 I picked up yesterday. Cassette off and cleaned and bar tape off, new bottle cage bolts in as they were rusty. The whole bike's in decent condition, but will need a new chain so I ordered that.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Local lad had his Honda CBR 600 stolen by 3 scumbags on Thursday night.
2 days after passing his test, one day after buying the bike …
So … gave him a call and offered him our spare CBR 600 as a run-a round.
Then quickly had to re fit fairings and stuff …
He took one look at it and bought it off us ….
£500 gets you a lot of Honda …

s-l1600.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
Local lad had his Honda CBR 600 stolen by 3 scumbags on Thursday night.
2 days after passing his test, one day after buying the bike …
So … gave him a call and offered him our spare CBR 600 as a run-a round.
Then quickly had to re fit fairings and stuff …
He took one look at it and bought it off us ….
£500 gets you a lot of Honda …

View attachment 728260

That brings back happy memories, now long gone!

IMG_1273.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
I gave my sons well used, scruffy commuter/pub bike a once over today, what a piece of shite!

He failed to tell me that it was stuck in 7th gear, once the wheel was off the rear mech moved freeway and shifter was fine, the last part of the gear cable was rusted and wasn’t moving freely, soon fixed it by cleaning the cable with some wire wool. I know it’s not best practice, but I wiped the cable with some copper grease and it seems to have worked. Long term I’ll fish out a new inner and outer from my collection of spares, both tyres are also toast, so the next job is to replace them, but theyre an odd size (26x180) so I scored some reasonably priced, used Panaracers off fleabay which will do the job. Whilst both wheels are off I’ll give it a much needed deep clean.

IMG_2899.jpeg

Landsurfer

Veteran
That brings back happy memories, now long gone!

View attachment 728329

£500 gets you a mot’d rolling restoration … £1000 gets you a mint bike.
160 mph missile with superb handling ….
I’ve gone a slightly different route, the comfy route, ….
”The HGV” …. As my grandson calls it … Suzuki 650 V-Strom…
130 mph Cruise Missile ….
The grandson …. Aprillia Tuono … And TREK F2 …. We’re a 2 wheel family ….
ish …. Pickup truck and car as well …

20230903_131127.jpeg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
After the disappointment earlier this afternoon when I found the Woodrup I picked up on Friday damaged, I started stripping that down for a closer look. Currently the crankset, derailleurs and brakes are off. The shifters are a bit recalcitrant however.

Attention then turned to the Trek 2200 which I'd started on yesterday after collecting it with the Woodrup. This evening's work consisted of brake cables, as the shifter ones looked pretty new, plus bar tape and further general cleaning. I've also swapped the mis-matched tyres, one of which was badly cracked, for a pair of used black/blue Vittoria Rubino's that seem to match the frame. The bar tape's Bontrager's in grey, as their blue was too indigo and their white bar tape didn't seem sensible - I had three Bontrager colours in the parts shed. Now just awaiting a chain which should arrive on Thursday:

PXL_20240421_202448656.jpg

And if it looks like I've not done much ... well I haven't. Everything works well, everything's well greased and I've had to simply clean plus deal with minor issues.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Gave the commuter's drive chain a deep clean. GT85ed the lot, let it soak in and old t-shirted the chain rings and triple Mickled the chain. Re-lubed it. Removed jockey wheels and cleaned and regreased them. Gave the rear mech a really good clean, getting into all the nooks and cranies with a pick. Then removed the cassette and cleaned it sprocket by sprocket. Re-assembled then swapped tyres round (to even wear) and scrubbed them clean of any oil.

Waxed the frame whilst wheels were off and put it all back together.

It will be clean untill 7am tomorrow. :laugh:

Willd

Veteran
Re-fettled my earlier fettle - I'd swapped to a 28 toothed big cog on the cassette, from a 25 (makes all the difference up hills :whistle: ), and increased the chain by a couple of links, but it was jumping and catching the derailleur, so back to the original length and it seems perfect, no slipping :smile:
Also refastened the gear cable, as I'd clamped it on the wrong side and reset the lower limit screw, as I didn't do that earlier either.

Top Bottom