What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Fitted a QuadLock mount to my hybrid.
IMG_2627.jpeg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So after my new Torque wrench arrived in the post I decided to put it to use. Firstly I torqued up the Race Face crank on my kona to 64 nm, time will tell if I've goosed this crank or not though, by riding it around under torqued.

Secondly I took the SRAM cranks off of my Mountain bike and re-checked the bearings in the bottom bracket. The left hand cup was rough as hell so I removed the cups and discovered a massive sand dune lying in the bottom of the shell. Probably my fault for taking the bike through some deep water this winter! Cleaned everything up then installed the new bottom bracket, taking care to use the exact same spacer configuration of the original. I then re-installed the crank and torqued that up to it's spec of 51 nm. It's a SRAM DUB crank, so it all re-installs in a different way to Shimano, so I made sure I carefully followed the excellent SRAM tech Docs.

Hopefully by finally buying a torque wrench and properly torquing up the chainset, I'll have no more problems with loosening bolts. I hadn't really appreciated just how much torque was needed to properly seat these modern cranksets.

Jameshow

Veteran
New wheels for the Cannondale!

The previous rs10 rear wheel had clicking bearing and rims that were shot have lasted well though c2c, lejog and 5 years general riding including bits of canal / trail!
Not gone out of true either.
Well recommended.

IMG-20240511-WA0013.jpeg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mudagurds mk 2

Taking the old gaurds off the front one had issues as the bolt would not undo, i literally had to pull the threaded insert out of the carbon fork, hammer the gaurd arm apart enough to get a pair of grips on the insert and reglue it into the fork before attaching the new gaurd.
The rear came off easily enough but whilst adjusting the new one to get it to fit the nut was just turning in the plastic clip so i couldnt tighten it up to hold the arms in the correct position so after a while fiddling and cursing i poured some glue into the clip so hold the arms in place .
FFS i have had enough of tiddling about with easy jobs that are anything but !

EckyH

Began the build-up of the second hand Ridley X-Bow disc - with disassembling and cleaning the whole thing.
People who sell dirty bicycles without a good explanation should fall off their bicycles. Into a mud hole. :angry:

Brakes are installed, headset, stem, handle bar and brake levers, seat post and saddle too. The bar of the cheap chain tensioner is too short, but perhaps I can compensate that with a longer screw and a spacer for the pulley.

E.

Jameshow

Veteran
New wheels for the Cannondale!

The previous rs10 rear wheel had clicking bearing and rims that were shot have lasted well though c2c, lejog and 5 years general riding including bits of canal / trail!
Not gone out of true either.
Well recommended.

View attachment 730486

Forgot to say these are wheels which I built during COVID but they are really tight so I'm a bit wary of going far on them! They are light and being wider are a smoother ride more like 28s.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP was having some issues with changing gear, clunking on two cogs in particular and also a creak when going up hill, everything worked fine and dandy on the stand, but no so when riding.

We both ummmed and scratched heads, we cleaned the cassette, cleaned and checked the chain, we checked the BB, couldn’t find the cause.

Then by accident I discovered the the quick release skewer was a bit loose, not falling out the dropouts loose, but not very tight.

Took the bike off the stand, made sure the wheel was set in, tightened up the QR, test ride of ten miles. Sorted.

Sometimes the bleeding obvious is staring at you and you don’t see it.

Gunk

Guru
Sorted out Mrs Gunks Raleigh this afternoon, I only paid £50 for it about 6 years ago, and it has sat unused under our open porch since Covid, so I dragged it out, deep cleaned and serviced it so we can both get out and cycle in to Oxford together now the weather is better and we both have a bit more time.

All it needed was some adjustment to the brakes and a replacement chain. A quick spin around the close and although it weighs an absolute ton, it’s quite pleasant to ride, not my thing but Mrs G likes it.

IMG_3065.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
The Fragrant MrsP was having some issues with changing gear, clunking on two cogs in particular and also a creak when going up hill, everything worked fine and dandy on the stand, but no so when riding.

We both ummmed and scratched heads, we cleaned the cassette, cleaned and checked the chain, we checked the BB, couldn’t find the cause.

Then by accident I discovered the the quick release skewer was a bit loose, not falling out the dropouts loose, but not very tight.

Took the bike off the stand, made sure the wheel was set in, tightened up the QR, test ride of ten miles. Sorted.

Sometimes the bleeding obvious is staring at you and you don’t see it.

I’m not a fan of QR, I’ve had the same issue especially on mountain bikes, I replace them with security Allen key skewers, they’re much more secure and don’t take long to pop off if you do want to remove the wheel.

EckyH

The chain tensioner problem for the X-Bow is solved: a Shimano RD-6208. Took off the bottom bracket (one bearing was loose - the previous owner obviously didn't care much), cleaned the BB shell, greade the threads and put it in again. Cleaned the cranks, put the outer chainring on (yes, single speed conversion), put the chimera rear wheel from the Enik Makalu in to shorten the chain and to have a test wheel.

Current status:
IMG_20240512_205702.jpg

Tomorrow I'll replace the pedals with PD-M520, install brake cables, adjust the brake levers, put bar tape on and hopefully there will be enough time between end of work and "Midsomer Murders" to go on a test ride.

E.

EckyH

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The new Surly Bridge Club frame and forks arrived yesterday morning. To date I have so far fitted the headset, bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, rear brake, motor, battery and mudguards. I swear I spent more time looking for f*****g Allen keys and nuts and bolts that I did fitting anything. The rear mudguard was a particular pain in the ass due to the seat stay mount being of the vertical bolt through the mudguard type (hate these bloody things) and the front mudguard stays needed extensions. The front brake is having to wait until an adapter is delivered tomorrow.
The battery and motor are royally p*****g me off as they're spoiling the looks of what is otherwise a particularly good looking bike. I wasn't too keen on the whipped butter cream colour but now that it's here, against all the black parts, it's damn nice. If anyone has a spare set of legs and lungs they can offer me, great! I can then go back to unassisted cycling.
Pics tomorrow hopefully. No point showing her half finished.

Top Bottom