What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Rose Xeon bars angle adjusted minimally, and stem lowered by 10mm. Headset tweaked as it had loosened up a bit over the first few hundred miles. Later punctured for the first time on this bike, pleasantly surprised that I could get the Mavic Yksion tyre off and on again without levers.

flatflr

Guru
Fitted new bar tape to the Look. The old white tape was getting really dirty, tried cleaning it but it didn't really work to decided to replace it. Wasn't easy to get it looking great but no tucks or creases. Just wait for the accident report when it unravels, gets caught in the front wheel and I go A over T over the bars...

Last edited:
Started turning my 90's mtn bike into my camp touring bike. Began by greasing the bearings on both wheels which needed it. Didn't really notice I'd stuck the rear axle back in the wrong way around until I put the cassette back on and thought, that looks funny.....cue reverse the procedure and re-fit axle.

Quick links aren't so quick when you spend five minutes looking for the one you dropped before giving up and going furtling in the kitchen draw for the spare one.

Then I punctured a tube putting a rear Nimbus on. First time I've ever done that.....miffed.

I need a new bb as well. Might give it to the LBS to do as I don't have the tool nor a great history with BB's

gbb

Legendary Member
Grandsons Mongoose BMX, rear wheel locked up...
Inspect...strip, axle and freewheel locked up,, its got the cheapest nastiest, crappiest freewheel you ever saw, all integrated around the axle cones. Balls on one side of the freewheel have gone...literally gone.
So its off to the LBS for some 4mm balls at some stage. It'll be on a wing and a prayer, the cones are quite bad, the cup on one side doesnt look much better.
It'll be worth a try till he gets a new wheel.
Mongoose =cr&p.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Prepared my old winter bike for my girlfriend to use, removed mudguards, quick clean, pumped up the tyres, squirt of chain lube. Oh, then a quick 20 mile test ride :smile:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Fitted a new rear derailleur to replace the one that suffered an unfortunate accident last Sunday.

Broken Derailleur.jpg

I tried to fix it on Wednesday, but found when adjusting the gears that the only way to keep it from hitting the spokes was to have the jockey wheels under 3rd gear, rather than first. That was because the hanger was bent, so I ordered a replacement which came today.
And while I was at it, I put a new cable on as well.

gbb

Legendary Member
Bitterly dissapointed, but not really surprised at my grandsons Mongoose BMX he asked me to look at...I cant pedal it he said.
Rear hub stiff, stripped..the freewheel is mounted on the axle by cup n cones both sides, 4mm balls...made of cheese. One sides gone altogether. Damn cr&ppy stuff. Im getting very disillusioned at the cr&ppy way so much stuff is made nowadays..its JUST fit for purpose....but only just.
Scrap value only, I'll have to keep my eye out at the car boots for him, he doesnt use it that much anyway...it doesnt warrant spending too much on it .

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Nothing exciting, but iv had a new cassette that I ordered from wiggle sitting in its box for a couple of weeks. Finally got round to fitting that today.....
image.jpg

After Saturdays terrible weathered sportif I noticed my pads also need replacing. Better start shopping then

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not technically a bike fettle, nor was it all done today but I think I can sneak it in here....

My 15 yr old garden seat was all on the wonk, with rusted bolts and screws, and wobbled dangerously to one side or t'other when sat upon.

A few days ago I dismantled it (by drilling out the bolt heads, and tapping the shank through). Sadly, the weather was a bit miserable to re-stain the slats and spray the metalwork that day.

seat1.jpg

Yesterday, I stained and sprayed several coats of stuff over the components.

This afternoon, I reassembled my favourite garden seat.

Seat2.jpg

Job done!

I reckon it's OK to post it in the bike fettling forum as this is the place I sit when contemplating fettling summat on the bike, have a post-fettle rest, a pre-ride coffee and a post-ride beer or cuppa.
Or just planning my next ride or thinking about the previous ones...

:smile:

just took me over 2 hours to fit new brake pads (front & rear) to my Cannondale Bad Boy. I thought it would be a simple case of old pads out, new pads in but I ended up having to strip down both brake calipers, clean the pistons, fit new seals (which luckily my LBS had in stock), fit new pads then top up and bleed the system. What a palaver! Going to head out after dinner for a quick test run

Top Bottom