What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Mickled the chains on the audax machines after a long day out yesterday on the Elenidd.
Decided MrsPpP needs a new back wheel, rim was already rather worn and the hub bearing now pretty rough too.
Came back inside and spnt loadsamoney online.

KneesUp

Guru
Inner tube changed on my £26 eBay bike - it came with a 650b inner tube, as it turns out, so not surprisingly there was a big tear around the valve. At least it was easy to find. Put in an old tube which has two patches, but holds air. Also swapped the tyre for a spare one that's slightly less off-road, given that I am riding it on road for the time being - the one that came off has loads of life and is a rather retro-tastic Farmer John's Cousin - it would be a waste to wear that out on road.

As for the bike that will be my road/commute/tow-path bike - it is now almost stripped. Today I finally managed to free the left hand crank after a good soak in penetrating oil. I still can't loosen the stem though, so it's upside down and full of vinegar in an attempt to soften the rust at the moment.

Kies

Replaced the Tektro brakes with 105's bought on here - a most satisfying job in doing it oneself. even remembered to put a peice of card in the rear before tightening the pads up (toe in)
they definateley stop a lot quicker than the tektro's

RebornBumbler

Tried out my newly-delivered square taper crank puller on the soon-to-be-replaced riveted triple. Drive side went a dream - much more trouble with the other crank's bolt until I realised it's *not* reverse-threaded (doh!)

All nice and clean now, but it's being replaced in a few days anyway...

compo

Veteran
Last edited:

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Well I went out on the s/spd yesterday & found the bars to be too wide, so out with the hacksaw this morning, & now they are about 2.5" narrower.
(Also ditched the pedal reflectors as they were preventing me getting my shoes into the half clips cleanly.)

D

Deleted member 23692

Just swapped the disc brake pads on my MTB... 5 mins easy work means I can forget about them for another year or two (or more)

Gotta love hydraulic discs :becool:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rear cable disk is sticky on daughters bike. Needs new cable, but couldn't find anywhere in Prestatyn that sold any. Removed it, cleaned up and fitted a new outer. Working much better, but still need an inner cable. Out and about tomorrow to Anglesey, so I may just have to call into a bike shop, or at least Halfords in Rhyl.

Top Bottom