What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi SatNav,
Also have a Triban 3...looks like you changed the crank...what did you change it to and did you have to replace the BB (and was it expensive???)?
Hi
I changed to a Shimano FS2300 crankset (discountined hence the silver rather than black so won't bother with link!). 30/42/52 which is right at the max of what the front derailleur can take(front is meant to be max 50 teeth). BB was replaced under warranty by decathlon. Cost as £44.99 (half price) from Evans when they were clearing their stock - stock crank from decathlon is £34.99.

Hi
I changed to a Shimano FS2300 crankset (discountined hence the silver rather than black so won't bother with link!). 30/42/52 which is right at the max of what the front derailleur can take(front is meant to be max 50 teeth). BB was replaced under warranty by decathlon. Cost as £44.99 (half price) from Evans when they were clearing their stock - stock crank from decathlon is £34.99.
Thank you! The crank on mine is fine for now (touch wood) but just thinking about future replacement :-)

Steady

Über Member
Since my Triban 3 is a month old the cables had stretched for the front derailleur (back still shifting fine!), unfortunately the front mech is the worst part on the bike for me to touch, always ends up worse than when I started.

Trial and error had me throwing the chain onto the frame, and then reversing my actions, to reverse the again which finally meant I worked out which way to turn the barrel adjuster and it wasn't to hard after that!

Leodis

Veteran
My head kept telling me to buy GP4000s 2 in red, so I went for...

Schwalbe-Ultremo-ZX-V-Guard-Folding-Road-Tyre-Red-Stripe.jpg

2014 version, they do look the dogs over the new GP's and nearly half the price.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Spesh Secteur got the following:

- Replacement brake calipers; Ultegra 6700 ones with new cables
- Replacement RH 105 shifter plastic cover as the old one had cracked
- Further lowering of the bars; they're now at the lowest they'll go

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Replaced the cracked reflector on the SKS mudguard on the winter bike with a Spanninga Pixeo combined reflector and LED light. Only one setting - on (or off),as flashing lights are not legal in Germany. I think these are sold fitted to SKS mudguards in Germany - the holes in the mudguard for the reflector were exactly right for the new light.

Twotter

I'm starting off this fettling lark nice and easy...I flipped the stem on my Allez this morning to try a slightly more upright position :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@Rickshaw Phil has fettled my bike for its 1000 miles service! :thumbsup: Top man!!
:shy:
A good clean. Front wheels bearings inspected and regreased. Back bearings on these hubs need a tool I haven't got so will have to wait until later - they run smooth with no play so they'll do for a bit.

2 Schwalbe Marathons fitted (they're quite tight on these rims) The rest was a general checkover really - checking for wear/play and that everything was tightened up properly (which it wasn't, but is now :thumbsup:).

Last edited:

Basil.B

Guru
Spent a couple of hours trying to fit a new tyre to my wheel, so tight!
I had also fitted new rim tape, which I think was the cause of the problem.
I managed to get the tyre on just, after I removed the rim tape.
Now got to get a thinner rim tape and let the skin heal on my fingers.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Gave my Vivente tourer/commuter, which had been rained on all week, a thorough clean, also replacing the rear pair of brake pads. It took 2 hours, because the rain had caused dirt to get into every crevice on the bike, and the chain had a bit of brown surface rust. I had given it a quick wipe several times this week, but when it rains all week, sometimes that's not enough. Now my pride and joy is all sparkly-clean again for the upcoming commuting week :smile:.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Commuter has had an odd creaking when out of the saddle from the stem/ headset area so yesterday i took the stem off and cleaned /lubed anything that might creak including the bolts.Then i loosened off the headset and put a good squirt of grease top and bottom before putting it all back together /
No time to test it yet and i am not sure if i shall ride today as i had a bonfire of old wood shaving that caused so much smoke that i had to go put it out so i have a headache and a sore throat.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Did my usual fettling trick today. I decided to have a go at adjusting the BB7 brakes on the Tricross. Made the rear one worse, so left the front one alone, trip to the LBS on Tuesday now required. I think they might actually need new pads. Every time I try a new job I end up going to the LBS, completely useless at fettling is me :smile:

Top Bottom