What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Brake blocks on my brother's bike. He complained of poor braking on our last ride and I did an adjustment while we were out but noted they seemed to be unevenly worn so recommended replacements.

Fitting the new ones today I found that the metal backing of the right rear block had been exposed and if it had worn just a quarter of a millimetre more the metal would have been in contact with the rim.:eek:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nowt bike related , supposed to put this up for kids today but its been cold and raining all day :sad:
23417-Mad-Dash-6x4-Gingerbread-Junior-Playhouse-with-Picket-Fence-04n.jpg
Had to ring the company up, they did not send the base and as it was all packed up i did not check yesterday as it was raining , they said it ended up in another customers order !!!!
dagnabit.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Framesaver on the Raleigh Team left the rear derailleur wobbly so I bought several correct hole-sized washers and tried them. It now fits great and I'm ^_^ . Stupid me won't cross-thread a rear derailleur ever again.

Also I sold the Decathlon 7.1 Sport for a lot more than expected so fitted a new rear brake cable as the old one had a kink in. Seller's Dad collected this eve and paid cash :thumbsup:

Son's Ridgeback MX20 had the Bikeability bad treatment on Mon/Tues; they moved the saddle down, tilted it up, pushed the light sideways and generally messed up a good setup again - the last time being when it was cancelled half-way through in November. His knees were almost touching his elbows on it :rolleyes: . Saddle's now level and properly set.

Finally, son no 2's Decathlon Triban Junior got SPD's fitted and he's been trying to get used to clipping in and out. A lot of patience and practice is going to be needed there. :whistle:

Cubist

Still wavin'
After Saturday's mud sweat and beers ride I put the Soul in the garage without cleaning it. On Monday morning I was greeted by the sight of an orange chain. :blush: We'd ridden in a lot of loamy woodland, and the mud must have been acidic. I therefore took the chain off and removed all the surface rust from the plates, then checked the rollers for damage. Rewaxed with Finish Line dry ceramic in the warmth of the kitchen to ensure complete coverage, it has scrubbed up really well and still checked at well under .75%. The bike then got a full strip down and wash yesterday. Today I have lubed both mechs, replaced brake pads front and rear with Kevlar pads after cleaning the calipers, wire woolled the rotors with IPA, t cut some bits of the frame, freed up the roller on the chain guide, cleaned the Reverb and fitted it using new carbon assembly paste, de-gunged the cassette, refitted the newly waxed chain, sorted out the XT trail pedals with GT85, indexed the gears and adjusted the tyre pressures back to 25/30 psi. There's a bit of grumble from the rear wheel bearings. Nothing to worry about yet, it's barely audible, but something to keep an eye on.

Peter88

Veteran
Replaced the freehub on a Shimano hub, cleaned checked and regreased the ball bearings and inside of the hub bodythen rebuilt it all. Took approx 1hour.

It wasn't today but actuall the last two nights. I stripped the cables, deraileurs, shifters and chainrings and bar tape off the bike and fitted a new 52t chainring, new ultegra derailleur, new ultegra shifters, new cables and new bar tape. The shifters too a little longer than I anticipated, had to work out the new routing (my old ones were external and these are internal) and cut the cables to length. If I get time tonight, I'll put a 11-28 cassette and 25mm tyres on my spare wheels (fit them time dependant), new pedals on the bike and shift the shim from below the right cleat of my old shoes (which are about to fall apart) to my new shoes.

from this (no hubs in wheels, new gear cables, new brake cables, new outers for both....)
IMG_0218.JPG

to this
DSC_0219a.jpg

still need to do the chain and rear indexing, but otherwise it is ready to be handed over to its new owner (brother in law) to be retired from active service and used as a commuter along a canal towpath.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Cleaned both bikes chains oiled looking sparkly :-D pity they are not likely to see the light of day for the next two weeks :-/ easter hols and kids to look after

Top Bottom