What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Two hours precious riding time was expended on fettling the tandem....
changed both pairs of pedals
changed both saddles
swapped the babbage engine for one that functions correctly
applied bar-phat gel & tape to pilot's h'bars
repaired a p*n*t*r* to front inner tube

icky

gone pedlin
New tape on bars , altered seat hight and lowered bars with spacers then went over on ankle and sprained lateral ligaments so no ridding for me for a couple of weeks :cry:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi all :smile:. Just a quick question about disposing of old wheel rims. I thought "no problems, I'll just bend it in two so it fits into my general rubbish bin", because I figured it probably wasn't recyclable. Only problem was: it didn't bend! :laugh: The wheel rims I've been using for my Vivente tourer/commuter are very strong. Suggestions, anyone? Are they recyclable? Can I bend a rim to double it up, without injuring myself?

compo

Veteran
Hi all :smile:. Just a quick question about disposing of old wheel rims. I thought "no problems, I'll just bend it in two so it fits into my general rubbish bin", because I figured it probably wasn't recyclable. Only problem was: it didn't bend! :laugh: The wheel rims I've been using for my Vivente tourer/commuter are very strong. Suggestions, anyone? Are they recyclable? Can I bend a rim to double it up, without injuring myself?

Whether you can double up the rim depends how strong you are! It wouldn't take many minutes to cut the rim into smaller segments with a hacksaw or use a hammer to flatten the profile which would make it easier to bend.

I live near a couple of gypsy sites and they are always out in their Transits looking for scrap so anything metal just gets placed near the road and within an hour it is usually gone.

round our way and with our family, wheel rims are much valued (better if they still have the hub & spokes). They are excellent for canes to be tided to and growing beans or sweet peas up!

Solved my issue of having to constantly fine-tune standard vees with road levers

Got around to fitting the mini-vees, with the mudguard. Crude, but undeniably effective!

f9ppbs.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Finished fitting the Electra Townie 21D with wider rims to avoid pinch flatting problems from preposterously narrow rims it came with. Tires play nicer with everything, indexing went well, gearing is a little higher, but it needed to be. Box rims over deep vees seem like something I would have specced this bike with in the first place. Had all sorts of fun working out gearing, brakes, and tires. I also went to the LBS and got a bottom bracket removal tool ordered for newer sealed bottom brackets(22tooth) and saw the passenger train from Texas arrive.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Changed my brake pads front and rear for a fresh set, and degreased, cleaned and oiled my chain using my new chain keeper so I could get wheel-side of the jockey wheels with the wheel out and turn the pedals.

Decided that I no longer needed my mudguards now that spring has sprung so set out to remove them. When removing the rear wheel I found that when my LBS had serviced my bike they had tightened the nuts beyond the capability of my saddle bag spanner, had to use my socket set. Glad I discover this at home, on the bike stand rather than in the rain at the side of the road when fixing a p*ncture.

gbb

Legendary Member
Two wheeled, but the engined variety, my sons 100cc Speedfight scooter has been playing up. Sunday morning became scooter fettle time..
plug out, some deposits found, wire brushed and refitted.
Transmission case off, found the clutch cover was loose...ooer, the clutch slides on its shaft as well. The retaining nut was loose. Sorted until I can get a new nut. That was a disaster waiting to happen if the nut had come right off.
One brake lever switch was assumed faulty, covers off, test switch..yes faulty, new one ordered.
Airbox removed, filter checked.

It was behaving very badly, quite bogged down and thirsty, it certainly ran better on a test ride...hopefully wiill get the full thumbs up tomorrow.

Slept very poorly last night, felt jaded all day...good to have something to focus on.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The story of the carrera banshee continues. I removed as much of the pitting as I could from the fork stanchions, and t cut them to reduce any chances of shredding the wiper seals. Cubester removed and decontaminated the front rotor using IPA and steel wool, and I showed him how to service the bearings. He also, under my tutelage, replaced the front brake reservoir inline connector which was weeping brake fluid, and changed the brake pads. The grease in the wheelbearings was very sparse, and they'd been over tightened. We dismantled the cassette and gave it a good clean. The chain is less than .75%, and no sign of transmission wear, so that's a bonus. We'll check shifting tomorrow, but it doesn't feel too bad. The rear shock had about 40 psi in it, so no wonder it rode like a pig. The seatpost was slammed into the tube, and when we tried to adjust it the clamp bolt was threaded. Fortunately I had a used QR seatclamp that fits it. I've drained a load of water out of the frame, so I daren't look in the BB or headset......they don't grind, so I'll leave we'll alone unless the owner wants me to check them.

I was shocked at the weight of the wheels. The rear, with tyre, rotor and 68 speed cassette weighs more than both of my wheels on the Cotic complete with tyres and so on. We managed to weigh the complete bike, and it weighs over 17 kg.

compo

Veteran
A couple of weeks ago I was given an old Barracuda frame that was covered in moss and dirt from living under a pile of old timber. Much elbow grease and hunting through my spares boxes I have managed to make it into this and finished the job this morning. It's a little tatty cosmetically but it's a mountain bike for heaven's sake, it's supposed to be. I have some replacement grips/bar ends coming. When I get a few quid spare I want to get a quill to ahead adaptor so I can use a different stem and change the bars.

My son-in-law can have his Giant MTB back now!

DSCN0440_zpsc4edc2cd.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom