What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Finished her about half an hour ago. With any luck I've not forgotten to tighten any bolts.
20170509_132250.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Finished her about half an hour ago. With any luck I've not forgotten to tighten any bolts.
View attachment 351584
Thats nice

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Need to replace the spd cleats on my shoes , its going to be a right job as i cant even see the edges of the bolts as they are filled with gunk / stone and i doubt i will be able to get a hex key in as what i can see looks fairly rounded.
I do have a newer pair but i am considering selling them as they have never been right o my paddle width feet .

subaqua

What’s the point
Fettled the brakes and lubed the chain on my , girls OLD bike and boys OLD bike as there was a request on a local area facebook group for a bike for a 8 yr old girl .

took the daughters one round first . waaay too big - my kids must be freaks of nature !! although she is only 15 now and nearly as tall as me.

took the boys old one round, the nipper sat on the saddle after i guessed where to set it. loved it .

one old bike upcycled ( Yes I gave it away) and a happy smiling child with a new bike.

lifes good sometimes.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The Van Nicholas I use mainly for commuting has developed a bit of a ticking sound which I suspect may be the bottom bracket (SRAM GXP with approx 3500 miles on it). Without the time to change it, I quickly went over the bike with a set of allen keys just to make sure it wasn't something else loose causing the noise. Seat post clamp, stem bolts, top cap bolt, cranks & chainring bolts all took at least half a turn of tightning :eek: which surprised me as I'd made sure they were all tight when I got the bike 18 months ago and then again after a couple of months af riding.

Despite this the ticking is still there so the BB will be changed next week and I'll have to check the bolts on all the other bikes as well.

dfthe1

Had an annoying click on every pedal turn for the last few weeks. So, thanks to Sheldon's guide to creaks, clicks and clunks, I took the pedals off, regreased the threads and tightened up, and tightened the crank and stack bolts. No luck, so took the cranks off, removed the bottom bracket, gave it all a good wipe down, regreased and installed tightly and put everything back on. Click free! Then for dessert, I adjusted the front derailleur as the chain was now rubbing slightly.

Very happy -- and only one gouged knuckle with a few splashes of crimson on the garage floor.

D

Deleted member 1258

Stripped, cleaned and regreased the headset on my Eastway. I'm getting the occasional clonk when riding over bumps and now the headset and forks have checked out as OK I can start looking elsewhere for the cause, the saddle is prime suspect as the body can be moved about slightly on the rails and it makes a similar noise when I move it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I dissembled and greased the BB on my new to me Schwinn Mirada from the 1990's. The bicycle had Biopace cranks, and they had to go. They were also quite heavy, so were replaced with some round, lighter cranks. My BB had not been serviced either, probably since new, from all the dried grease in there, but the cups came out quite easily. Some changeovers from some Schwinn bikes of that era will be performed to get the Mirada and Impact back on the road, the Sidewinder can wait until seat post issues are resolved, which may be some time.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After collecting the N+1 yesterday, it was time for a service. Since it's my first recumbent trike it would give me a chance to get to know the machine. So far today:
1. Removed and cleaned the longest chain I've ever seen. Measured an showing very very little wear.
2. Removed and de-greased the chainset. Needs a new middle ring as it's getting very shark teethy.
3. Removed and degreased the chain roller and outside of the guide tubes.
Time up, next is to flush the tubes, clean the cassette, quick clean over and then go ride it:smile::bicycle::bicycle:

Top Bottom