What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Cyclo Benelux 4 speed rear deraileur wasn't playing nicely so it was completely stripped, fettled, a quick clean and reassembled.
All shifting OK now.

Tom B

Guru
I rebuilt and concreted the gully surround where I wash my bike. Hopefully the water will now go down the drain rather than washing the house foundations away.

I gave the chain a quick mickle then went out for four hours. I spent the whole four hours cursing a creaking noise that wasn't there yesterday.

Got home had a brew and went for arise around the street, annoyed to find the noise wouldn't recurr. Thirty mins tinkering I remembered I'd taken my waterbottles out. As soon as I put them back in the creaking came back. It appears the creak is coming from the bit when the wire cage is clamped down. Perhaps I should have paid more than a quid for them.

si_c

Guru
Gave the bike a thoroughly good clean yesterday after the CC ride, as it was filthy. Checked all the cables, chain etc, and regreased where necessary. Gleaming cassette and chain. Will have to clean it again tonight after this mornings commute.

Buck

Guru
^^ditto

After Saturday's Manchester to Llandudno ride the bike got a well earned clean down of road grime and sand - the sound of the grime paste on the chain set was not the best and the cleaning rags proved it! Now all sparkly and nicely lubed up.

Took the opportunity to swap my front and rear tyres around as the rear has a little more wear whereas the front looks like new! I've got a new pair of tyres waiting but reckon I can get a few more miles out of this set first !

Drago

Legendary Member
Replaced the manky Zetec badge on the Ford Fusion of Cabbage and Wee with a nice shiny new one for 99p, courtesy of everyones favourite auction site. It was a tiny detail, but annoying, and it now looks mint once again.

I want to the some new number plates without the EU flag on the left, and I'm tempted to have some made with "Smell The Cabbage" printed on the lower edge.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
All 4 bikes mickled, pivot points lubed, drive chains run through all the gears, brakes given a workout and any suspension bounced a bit.

All in the aim of keeping everything working while some don't get out as much others. I do try to give each a workout and I'm going to give the Forme a spin soon.

Not today but last Saturday I replaced the press fit bb in the Ridley Helium(bearings were getting worn) for a shiny C-Bear ceramic one.

Glad I work in a bike shop with access to tools but it was still a bit nervy getting the old one out:ohmy::sweat:,all good though and nice having smooth running cranks again.

Today was fitting a rack and panniers to the Robinson.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My singlespped bike is grubby after the Llandudno ride mentioned by @si_c and @Buck above but it wasn't the dirt that was bugging me ... There had been a minor rattle coming from the front half of the bike throughout the ride and after 105 miles of listening to it, I was determined to track it down and eliminate it.

I checked:
  • Headset (No)
  • Quick release (No)
  • Stem (No)
  • Brake levers (No)
  • Cables (No)
  • Bottle cage bolts (No)
  • GPS mount (No)
  • Separate computer mount (No)
  • Front light (No)
  • Valve, valve stem nut, valve cap on front tube (No)
I was testing by lifting the front of the bike, dropping it, and trying to hear where the rattle was coming from. It is actually quite difficult to do that.

Then I noticed that the rattling disappeared if I applied the front brake. At that moment a friend came round and asked what I was doing. I explained about the noise and showed that it didn't happen if I dropped the front of the bike with the front brake applied.

My deduction was that something was loose in the brake itself.

My pal bent down and listened to the noise and told me that he thought it was coming from the front wheel. I was convinced that he was wrong but swapped another wheel in and discovered that he was right!

I stripped the hub down, greased all the likely culprits, and reassembled it. The noise is history! :okay:

It is amazing how annoying a subtle noise can be. My hearing is not very good so I miss a lot of such noises but this was just loud enough for me to hear it when I was riding, especially over rough road surfaces.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Off work & having to stay in waiting for a parcel to be delivered so...
Chains checked for wear, 'mickled' and deraileurs cleared of gunk on the 13, Kona (new chain required as the wear indicator dropped in easily), Whyte, Planet X and both Van Nicholases.
Spacers swapped round on the Boardman single speed bodge job for a better chain line
Front brake hose re-routed on the Giant. Now runs outside the fork instead of inside next to the tyre, so fatter tyres can be used.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My singlespped bike is grubby after the Llandudno ride mentioned by @si_c and @Buck above but it wasn't the dirt that was bugging me ... There had been a minor rattle coming from the front half of the bike throughout the ride and after 105 miles of listening to it, I was determined to track it down and eliminate it.

I checked:
  • Headset (No)
  • Quick release (No)
  • Stem (No)
  • Brake levers (No)
  • Cables (No)
  • Bottle cage bolts (No)
  • GPS mount (No)
  • Separate computer mount (No)
  • Front light (No)
  • Valve, valve stem nut, valve cap on front tube (No)
I was testing by lifting the front of the bike, dropping it, and trying to hear where the rattle was coming from. It is actually quite difficult to do that.

Then I noticed that the rattling disappeared if I applied the front brake. At that moment a friend came round and asked what I was doing. I explained about the noise and showed that it didn't happen if I dropped the front of the bike with the front brake applied.

My deduction was that something was loose in the brake itself.

My pal bent down and listened to the noise and told me that he thought it was coming from the front wheel. I was convinced that he was wrong but swapped another wheel in and discovered that he was right!

I stripped the hub down, greased all the likely culprits, and reassembled it. The noise is history! :okay:

It is amazing how annoying a subtle noise can be. My hearing is not very good so I miss a lot of such noises but this was just loud enough for me to hear it when I was riding, especially over rough road surfaces.

I've come across 'chambered' rims (double wall rims) with bits inside the void, I wish I could find decent quality single wall rims still.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've come across 'chambered' rims (double wall rims) with bits inside the void, I wish I could find decent quality single wall rims still.
We'd suspected that might be the cause in my case too. The pal in question once had a wheel with a bit of swarf trapped in the rim. You could hear it tumbling about inside the rim as the wheel rotated.

Top Bottom