What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know it's not a bike....

But Finesse bike cleaner was involved and I was impressed with how it shifted the grime; I haven't been near my car since June 2014 and it was looking a bit sorry..

IMAG0495.jpg

An entire bottle of the bike cleaner, and copious amounts of soapy water later

IMAG0499.jpg

So it definitely works on more than just bikes!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been working on the Eastway again:

- New rear mech hanger fitted
- New chain
- Replacement rear derailleur
- New gear cable
- New Deda blue bar tape

Due to a lack of space (and pressure from SWMBO) it's ended up on eBay, but I'm not giving it away. If this bike doesn't sell it'll be into storage until the autumn.

s-l1600.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I know it's not a bike....

But Finesse bike cleaner was involved and I was impressed with how it shifted the grime; I haven't been near my car since June 2014 and it was looking a bit sorry..

View attachment 353601

An entire bottle of the bike cleaner, and copious amounts of soapy water later

View attachment 353602

So it definitely works on more than just bikes!

Does it still start?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Today was a new experience for me. I lent my best bike to a friend (shall we say former friend) who fitted his own pedals and managed to thread both sides of my expensive carbon cranks. Somehow he managed to get the left pedal on the right crank and vice versa. On a plus note he buggered the threads on his pedals too.

I thought I would try and rescue the situation with some pedal taps before I went the helicoil, unior or even new crank arms route. I purchased proper pedal taps and with some intrepidation and lube set to work, not expecting too much. A reasonable amount of material came off, but the correct pedals now screw on without issue. First real test ride is tomorrow, I will certainly be keeping an eye on them. I think I have saved him and also am not accepting a bodge. I think he owes me a few pints.

Nibor

Bewildered
Today was a new experience for me. I lent my best bike to a friend (shall we say former friend) who fitted his own pedals and managed to thread both sides of my expensive carbon cranks. Somehow he managed to get the left pedal on the right crank and vice versa. On a plus note he buggered the threads on his pedals too.

I thought I would try and rescue the situation with some pedal taps before I went the helicoil, unior or even new crank arms route. I purchased proper pedal taps and with some intrepidation and lube set to work, not expecting too much. A reasonable amount of material came off, but the correct pedals now screw on without issue. First real test ride is tomorrow, I will certainly be keeping an eye on them. I think I have saved him and also am not accepting a bodge. I think he owes me a few pints.
I think he should pay for the pedal taps too

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Apart from doing some work on the Carrera .

I also replaced the front wheel units on the spare wheel chair.b

IMG_20170529_155820637.jpg
IMG_20170529_155812922.jpg
IMG_20170529_155818085.jpg

They were well overdue .

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I started a fettling snowball effect! :cry:
After replacing the gear and brake cables, brake pads and handlebar tape on the commuter bike 1.5 weeks ago, followed by replacing the chain rings, chain and cassette on the road bike last weekend, I found that the same parts as on the road bike now need replacing on the commuter bike. Next weekend will involve more fettling, as well as the usual cleaning to remove winter dirt.

simon.r

Person
I fettled this a few months ago, but wanted to make sure it worked before posting:

IMG_2182.JPG

I've realised that plastic waste pipe can be bought for about £1 per metre and is just the right size to work as ahead spacers on 1 1/8" forks. Cheap, customisable, light weight and it works.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yesterday I fixed a puncture, it was the first one that I'd had for a few years as I've been using Schwalbe Delta Cruisers.
When I got the tyre off the 'puncture' was actually due to perished rubber on the rim side.
I was surprised that an old tube of rubber cement hadn't solidified, it still worked as well!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yesterday I fixed a puncture, it was the first one that I'd had for a few years as I've been using Schwalbe Delta Cruisers.
When I got the tyre off the 'puncture' was actually due to perished rubber on the rim side.
I was surprised that an old tube of rubber cement hadn't solidified, it still worked as well!
You must have screwed the top on tightly.

Top Bottom