What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally got round to changing the bottom bracket on the main commuter bike, then changed the chain & cassette on the Kona and realised that it could also do with new jockey wheels. Don't know whether to bother or not as I plan on selling it off if all goes to plan in the next couple of weeks.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just replaced the chain rings, chain, cassette and pulleys on my commuter bike. Given that only a few weeks ago I replaced its gear and brake cables, brake pads and handlebar tape, it's looking pretty good now, and won't need any major maintenance for quite a while. :okay:
As usual, I started putting the various bolts on the chain rings (for triple crankset) in the wrong order, and partway through had to undo these and start again, not the first time I've done that. :banghead: Then I had to remind myself where the guide pulley goes vs the tension pulley, and after checking a web page on the topic, realised it's pretty obvious when you think about their functions.
I finally got around to doing a quick test ride along my home street, to check the above drivetrain parts, and the shifting is flawless still. I don't know what I did right when replacing the gear cables a few weeks ago, but the shifting, whether front or rear, up or down, 1 sprocket or several at once, is spot on. This is the first time I've managed to achieve this. :dance:

XC26

IMG_0340.JPG
Just finished replacing chanset, pedals and rear sprocket on one of my workhorses. Didn't replace the chain though because it's nearly new.

arch684

Veteran
Stripped a gear cable outer to get the thin tube out to use as a guide to fit a new internal cable

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Replaced back tyre on mountain bike.Going down the canal tow path.But i managed to nick the tube putting back in.Fool.So i had to do a repair.Put a spare one in and i am saving the other as a back up.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I repaired my daughters commuter bike. First, I cleaned the chain (mickle method) and then trued the back wheel.

The bike has a 6 position rear sprocket. The 6th position (the one with the least teeth) was skipping and badly worn. So, as a stop-gap measure I just changed the limit screw to max out in position 5. This basically means that positions 5 and 6 select the same gear (cog 5 on the rear sprocket) BUT the bike is still perfectly ride-able.

Hopefully, this will get 1 more year out of the drivetrain.

GuyBoden

Guru
Removed my old Shimano uniglide cassette and replaced it with a hyperglide.

I was lucky, there was a brief period during which Shimano produced a freehub body that was compatible with both Uniglide and Hyperglide cassettes.

8139256004_c06a96181e.jpg

Notice the inner and outer threads on the hub for both types of cassettes.

the stupid one

Über Member
Stripped pedals, cleaned, greased, reassembled and reattached to the bike. And then later, because it was still light, did the same to the headset/forks thingummy. Both firsts for me. Satisfying. YouTube is splendid, isn't it?

DRM

Guru
Removed the original brake blocks that came with my winter bike, and replaced with swiss stops, now they have bedded in, they are certainly an improvement over the originals which I suspect were made from hardened Pontefract Cakes.

the stupid one

Über Member
In preparation for new tyres arriving, removed wheels, took off old tyres and tubes, checked rim tape and cleaned everything up. Spokes are a bit corroded, so rubbed those down, then cleaned the rim braking surfaces with a Dremel, and then did my best to deep-clean the cassette without the tools to actually remove it. And it looks OK!

Deflating the old tubes was a challenge until I remembered the old bike pump that was knocking around - screwed in the little hose to keep the valve open and all was well.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom