What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
IMG_2200.JPG

No.1 Grandson washing my bike this morning ^_^

the stupid one

Über Member
Now maybe the stays are a little bent, or maybe putting the wheel-less bike down onto its derailleur (what a fecking dope) was a really bad idea, but I had a hell of a time getting the rear wheel back on this afternoon. Took half an hour, air turned blue, hands covered in oil and blood . . . needs more practice. Thereafter some gear, brake and mudguard adjustments and a couple of trial rides, now just a couple of slight noises to track down before I take the bike out for a twenty- or thirty-miler and see how things have turned out.

There wasn't that much blood.

Buck

Guru
After multiple attempts at removing my seized BB and failing I had left the job alone for a good few weeks. On a couple of rides this week though, the creaking was annoying me so, today I determined was THE day!!

It took me around an hour and a half to remove the seized non-drive side having multiple attempts and fails. I used penetrating oil (No Nonsense from Screwfix for around £5), left it for around an hour with the bike lying on its side to allow it to do its work and also used my bike stand as a scaffolding extender bar on the removal tool :smile:

My whoop of joy when the BB started to turn was a little loud but was well deserved. (IMO of course!)

A good clean, grease and fitting of the new BB followed. It even helped as the old one was silver (105) whereas the new one is black (Ultegra) like my chainset and other bits on the bike. (It was cheaper than the 105 one as well :biggrin:

Interestingly the new one came with a plastic tool for inserting/tightening. Both were fully seated by hand then a final check with the tool to ensure they were all set.

Gave the bike a good clean including the chain set and got it ready for a ride out tomorrow if I can fit it in.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The fleet - each one wheels off, frame wiped down with a dry paper towel, sprayed and cleaned using Fenwicks FS-1 cleaner and dried off, wheels done with FS-1 as well, wheels back on bike then chain fully mickled. GT85 used to polish the Ti frames!
The Fleet (1).JPG

Bar tape also replaced on the Kona.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Possibly one of the most tedious tasks, picking the flints and small stones/glass from the tyres on my tourer. Took half an hour or so. Two more bikes to do.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I had a few spokes that were loose on both wheels...stock pr2 giant wheelset thats being annoying me for the last week...went to evans at 9am this morning and bought a spoke key..some spokes were obviously loose and needed tightening but some others seemed like they could do with a squeeze also so thats what I did:cry:.Pleased with myself I gave them a turn.How I managed to put them so out of true is beyond me,a ham fisted attempt no doubt.I then done some reading and youtubeing on the art of trueing wheels.It took over an hour per wheel to sort out the mess but I got there in the end.Very pleased with myself^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
Occasional unplanned unclipping is of course the sign your cleats have had it so LBS today, new Keo cleats..paid full retail I suspect but heyho...look on it as supporting my LBS.
Fitted and out for a 20 mile ride..New Endura Humvee gloves as well.

Lucky really, my front tyre deflated as I pulled into my road. It may have happened in the last miles yeti do remember riding over some plant life I thought may have been thorny earlier on.

Puncture to fix then, first in lord knows how long.

wisdom

Guru
The fleet - each one wheels off, frame wiped down with a dry paper towel, sprayed and cleaned using Fenwicks FS-1 cleaner and dried off, wheels done with FS-1 as well, wheels back on bike then chain fully mickled. GT85 used to polish the Ti frames!
View attachment 359008
Bar tape also replaced on the Kona.
Thats some fleet!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Occasional unplanned unclipping is of course the sign your cleats have had it so LBS today, new Keo cleats..paid full retail I suspect but heyho...look on it as supporting my LBS.
Fitted and out for a 20 mile ride..New Endura Humvee gloves as well.

Lucky really, my front tyre deflated as I pulled into my road. It may have happened in the last miles yeti do remember riding over some plant life I thought may have been thorny earlier on.

Puncture to fix then, first in lord knows how long.
Like for the travels, not the travails.

Lee_M

Guru
not so much fettled as....

Fell off on a notorious ford (bottom of World's End for any North Walesians) and completely mullad my mech hanger, so I will soon be fettling that :-(

Yesterday, after they'd been rattling for a while, I tightened up the rear mudguard, & had to give my, 16 year old, daughter the "Are you serious?" look
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-wheels-on-the-bike-go-round-round.220535/

View attachment 358214

No.1 Grandson washing my bike this morning ^_^
I don't know if you read this, in 'CW'?
If it had been my Gran Fondo, the daughter would be sat waiting for the NSPCC to collect her:angel:

Dr Hutch. 1.jpg

Now maybe the stays are a little bent, or maybe putting the wheel-less bike down onto its derailleur (what a fecking dope) was a really bad idea, but I had a hell of a time getting the rear wheel back on this afternoon. Took half an hour, air turned blue, hands covered in oil and blood . . . needs more practice. Thereafter some gear, brake and mudguard adjustments and a couple of trial rides, now just a couple of slight noises to track down before I take the bike out for a twenty- or thirty-miler and see how things have turned out.

There wasn't that much blood.
Mmm.............
Mudguard adjustments
Dr Hutch. 3.jpg

si_c

Guru
Done 3k km on the Felt since I got it so gave it a good clean as the cassette and chain were filthy (gotta love gravel paths in the wet), relubed all the pivots on the derailleurs and the chain whilst I was at it as the shifts were getting a bit clunky. In the process noticed that the rear tire was starting to show the carcass under the rubber (stock Vittoria Zaffiro) so swapped it with the spare Zaffiro Pro I bought the other week for this eventuality. Front is still in near mint condition. Put some new rim tape on it too (Velox - best tape ever) instead of the crappy stock tape that had shifted position and was no longer covering the eyelets.

Really quite impressed overall with the Zaffiro tires, from what I'd read so far I hadn't expected anything at all from them yet they've turned out to be pretty decent.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Done 3k km on the Felt since I got it so gave it a good clean as the cassette and chain were filthy (gotta love gravel paths in the wet), relubed all the pivots on the derailleurs and the chain whilst I was at it as the shifts were getting a bit clunky. In the process noticed that the rear tire was starting to show the carcass under the rubber (stock Vittoria Zaffiro) so swapped it with the spare Zaffiro Pro I bought the other week for this eventuality. Front is still in near mint condition. Put some new rim tape on it too (Velox - best tape ever) instead of the crappy stock tape that had shifted position and was no longer covering the eyelets.

Really quite impressed overall with the Zaffiro tires, from what I'd read so far I hadn't expected anything at all from them yet they've turned out to be pretty decent.
I'd have stuck the front tyre on the back and fitted the new one to the front.

Top Bottom