What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
After todays soggy arsed commute, I put the mudguards back on the Felt, noticed the cones on the front hub were a bit loose so tightened them up and then adjusted the brakes so the bite is more immediate. Also tightened the headset a touch.

It seems I'm slowly working my way round the bike adjusting things as needed. Next job is to replace the rear brake cable as it's become a bit frayed. I had picked up a new cable today from a LBS ready to fit, but remembered I lent my cable cutters to someone at work so need to reacquire them first.

Dan B

Disengaged member
New cassette and chain on my Croix de Fer, now realised that the outer chainring also needs replacing and then on the way to the LBS to see if they had one, noticed the BB also on its way out and I don't have the stupid tool for the latest incarnation of Hollowtech II - the BBR60 doesn't even fit the tool for the earlier incarnation of Hollowtech II, and call me Mr Cynical, but I strongly suspect that by the next time I need a new BB they'll have changed the design again

Giving serious consideration to (1) going back to square taper (who makes a moderately nice square taper compact double chainset?) or (2) letting the LBS sort it all out for me

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not so much fettled as cleared out - I found five of the Lidl multi-tools (included with the saddle bags) spread around the shed and tool box which were surplus to requirements. There's another one in the depths of my locker at work which I am keeping for use there.

subaqua

What’s the point
dunno if this counts as Fettling. am on annual leave today for a loooong weekend

fell off bike last night while trying to mount it . (front derailleur had moved but chain hadn't so it slipped and physics demonstrated Newton laws brilliantly to the student engineers)

I landed on the front wheel so buckled it rather badly - worse than when i took a previous wheel to LBS for truing and they said it was past saving ( it was and i knew it)

sooo rode home with a serious wobble on but got home.

realised I had an old wheel at home with a rim that had done about 50 miles. the hub wasn't dynamo disc so couldn't swap wheel straight out.

I decided i was going to swap rims. how hard could it be FFS . I can mark spoke numbers and disassemble then reassemble . bike fixing by numbers if you like. I could then take wheel to LBS to true it vertically and laterally .

did the swap over of the hub/spokes to new(ish) rim loosely assembled. got it ready to go to LBS later when Parcel Farce have delivered some bits .

I was bored. so thought i would read the Sheldon Brown guide to wheel building and truing .

realised i had a set of works that i could wedge in the gap between fridge top/washing machine top and worktop the crown wedged against fridge/washer to stop rotation.

a couple of ty raps with strategically cut tails some masking tape as a view board behind and wheel got fixed in . I thought " I have some time waiting for parcel farce, whats the worst that could happen if i have a go at truing the wheel"

tightened the spokes as per Sheldon guide to firm the wheel up. and span the wheel. not too bad a bit of lateral truing and a tiny bit of vertical truing

adjusted the spokes and ta da. took the wheel back to properly round, and laterally true. took about 20 minutes of turn tweak check , turn tweak check.

whenever i have tried before i have never been succesful and always made thngs worse. now I have read the "HOW TO " it really is simple . yet another bike maintenance task i can do.

TL;DR - I now rock at truing wheels and saved myself lots of money .

Fitted some tubeless 28c Schwalbe Ones(not the Pros) to the Archetypes on the Light Blue.

No faff (helped by the IRC levers),popped on nicely with co2 and filled with Effete sealant.

Also adjusted the rear mudguard as it was bodged slightly for the previous 30c S-Ones.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
This :pump:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Changed my front tyre to gp4000,then decided I wasnt happy with the rim,the true of the rim,it took a bad knock last thursday morning and I didnt give it enough attention first time round...Ive been toying with the Idea of building myself a set of wheels so thought what the hell,lets start from scratch.I stopped short of doing so however backed all the nipples off until I could see the thread of the spoke,Then went from there with a spoke key.Im happy with the way it turned out,its not 100% but its not far off it either...if I was building a set,id invest in a truing stand I think but for now,these will do.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Re routed the front brake cable on the Saracen. It now feels slick and graunch free.
My front brake cable inner was sticking a bit in its outer. It is probably time for a new outer but a squirt of lube down the outer seems to have loosened it up for now. (It was the source of a mysterious rattling from the front of the bike. If I applied the brake, then released the lever slowly, the cable got stuck and didn't fully tighten the lever, which then rattled on bumps. )

I was out on a ride with @Littgull last Thursday when I suddenly felt a stabbing pain in my right index finger. I hadn't been stung by an insect. It took me a minute or two to work out that it was probably caused by a fraying cable inner. I checked it yesterday, and sure enough - the gear cable was fraying and I had stabbed my finger with the end of one strand of metal. I rang a mate to see if he had a spare inner, which he did, so I fitted that today. A little bit of tweaking to get the shifting right again, and then I went out and did a hilly 53 km test ride. (All ok now!)

si_c

Guru
Been a fettling weekend this weekend. Saturday I replaced two radiators, one upstairs, one downstairs as both were old and had sprung leaks, not an issue now, but would be come winter. Both the old radiators were sized in inches, so it wasn't a straight swap to new ones, but all done.

Yesterday I spent fettling bikes, the Felt still had the annoying rattle, I'd isolated it to the rear (not happening when in 11t sprocket, but all others), so removed the back wheel and then the cassette, cleaned and wiped the freehub body, and there was no play in the axles. Refitted it all, and put back on the bike, no rattle. Fairly sure the cassette lockring was loose as there were some marks on the freehub indicating that it had moved a little.

Also started stripping down my purple pug, as it's been on the indoor trainer for the last few months and prior to that had been used on salty wet roads. Took the crank arms off and gave the bottom bracket a spin, but it was feeling very rough. Can't find my lockring spanner, so ordered a new one, and will take the BB off, regrease and refit, fit some new brake/gear cables, and generally clean up and tidy the frame. Probably gonna put some frame saver in there too as it's likely to stay on the trainer for a little while.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
touched the Cube for the first time after the DD today (I knowwwwww, Im so lazy) The amount of dirt and crud that came off my drivetrain would of been enough to build a small mud hut.

I wiped the chain down and re-lubed the the night before the DD but i was probably just a little over zealous.

Now chilling with an ice cold cider in the garden enjoying some rays while the bike drys off. I'll miss all this when i have to start work again :sad:

Top Bottom