What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I have moved my 'spare' bottle cage again. I have 3 cages for 2 bikes.
I've got exactly the same problem. I've got 2 bikes that I do long-ish rides on, only 3 cages between them, and I sweat and need to drink a lot. I've been in that situation for nearly 2 years now, but every time I've bought something I've failed to add one more cage to the order.

I was quite pleased with myself after fitting a new battery into my Festina chronograph and got it working again only to notice that the stop watch hand has now moved round to 4 minutes past position. It has a Miyota OT 10 movement .
I'll have to see if there is any info about resetting the hand .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I decided to do some more fettling of my singlespeed bike in prepartion for Saturday's 200 km forum ride in Cheshire ...

I discovered that the sprocket is starting to look a bit worn. It wasn't even new when I put it on the bike and I have done 2,650 kms (1,650 miles) on it since then. Obviously, with only one sprocket rather than a full cassette worth, all the wear is going to be concentrated on that sprocket.

I found another used one with less wear in my spares box and was going to put that on but I couldn't get the locking ring off - I actually broke my chainwhip trying! I decided to postpone the job until after the Cheshire ride and the 100 mile York/Humber Bridge/York ride the following Saturday.

And then ... I noticed that the rear tyre had a worrying bulge in it. I wasn't going to risk riding on that tyre again so I took a photo of it and then put a replacement tyre on. (I'll finish off the dodgy tyre on my turbo trainer next winter.)

The tyre looked even worse in real life than it looks in this photo ...

Bulging tyre.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A couple of bits:

- Fitted a rear spoke to the Raleigh Twenty, so it's now got a full contingent. Also the crankset and chain looked like being covered in rust: on cleaning it was a coat of copper grease, possibly factory fitted in 1975. Underneath? All shiny chrome. Some work needed there though to clean it all as I've only done a couple of chain links so far. In fact, I might not bother and leave it as protectant.

- Fitted used GP4000S tyres to a pair of Roval Fusee Star wheels I'd picked up as new old stock and stuck them on the Wilier for a test-ride. They match the frame nicely:

XVBKF1w3IztvhwIp4ViybQHOdzKkRtZ40BMX2wdhQu0-2048x1152.jpg

bpsmith

Veteran
Gave the Helium SL’s cassette and chain it’s first full strip and degrease. Wasn’t that bad considering 300+ miles on factory coating.

Now back on the bike and Silca NFS lubed. It was a freebie from Silca when I imported a pump from them in their media sample sale a while back.

A very brief spin proved to be very smooth indeed. The pump is amazing too, like all their kit in fairness.

the stupid one

Über Member
Put new saddle on the Ridgeback; changed the saddle on the Triban and attached the clip for the Altura seatbag. Then removed the saddle so I could actually tighten up the screws. And then put it back on again. Good grief.

Come to think of it, we raised the saddle and handlebars on the little full-sus Apollo I got for our daughter last year, and which she hasn’t ridden for 54 weeks since her big brother came off the Ridgeback and snapped his femur right next to her. She’s still nervous, but we’ll get her back on it. She helped pump the tyres up and replace the long-lost valve caps, and sat on it while I wheeled her around the garage, but neither of us could face the rain.

Also we dropped into the LBS for those valve caps and I asked about getting the BB, rings and cranks changed on the mongrel Ridgeback. I’ll be taking it in next week. That bloody click’s days are numbered, touch wood.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A couple of bits:

- Fitted a rear spoke to the Raleigh Twenty, so it's now got a full contingent. Also the crankset and chain looked like being covered in rust: on cleaning it was a coat of copper grease, possibly factory fitted in 1975. Underneath? All shiny chrome. Some work needed there though to clean it all as I've only done a couple of chain links so far. In fact, I might not bother and leave it as protectant.

- Fitted used GP4000S tyres to a pair of Roval Fusee Star wheels I'd picked up as new old stock and stuck them on the Wilier for a test-ride. They match the frame nicely:

View attachment 412015
Nice wheels, I've got the 'Classique Pave' on my old TT bike.

DSCN0059.JPG

J_H1026

I've just finished fitting Di2 to my Cannondale Synapse over the past 2 days. I probably could have done it quicker but I promised the wife it wouldn't get in the way of my gardening duties. Luckily it's been raining a lot which gave me time off the mower! It was pretty straight forward although I did have to drill out one of the holes in the down tube as it tapered to accommodate cables and not the thickness of a Di2 cable. I'm not sure why that is, when there were holes elsewhere in the frame, supposedly ready for Di2!

I also learnt a few lessons about internal cabling, how fishing wire is excellent for those tight cable runs where the frame tapers and also how much crap gets up into the frame! I now just need to find some decent bungs/guides for the points at which the cables exit the frame (RD,FD and Down tube). I've also need to persuade the wife how important it is to upgrade the battery and wireless unit as syncro shifting is really important. I'm not holding my breath!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just finished fitting Di2 to my Cannondale Synapse over the past 2 days. I probably could have done it quicker but I promised the wife it wouldn't get in the way of my gardening duties. Luckily it's been raining a lot which gave me time off the mower! It was pretty straight forward although I did have to drill out one of the holes in the down tube as it tapered to accommodate cables and not the thickness of a Di2 cable. I'm not sure why that is, when there were holes elsewhere in the frame, supposedly ready for Di2!

I also learnt a few lessons about internal cabling, how fishing wire is excellent for those tight cable runs where the frame tapers and also how much crap gets up into the frame! I now just need to find some decent bungs/guides for the points at which the cables exit the frame (RD,FD and Down tube). I've also need to persuade the wife how important it is to upgrade the battery and wireless unit as syncro shifting is really important. I'm not holding my breath!
Ach, just use a bit of Silicon Sealant if you're worried about water.

the stupid one

Über Member
Set up new cycling computer and attached it to Triban. Tried to fit mudguards, but no way were they going through the brakes. I almost took a file to the front one before checking that the rear one would be OK, but that wouldn't fit either so I gave up.

She’s still nervous, but we’ll get her back on it.

Took The Girl out at lunchtime to the car park at the local station (not at all busy!), and she eventually got the hang of cycling again, though more work still needed for setting off and stopping. It was hot and sunny. When we got back home she claimed to be "as sweaty as a mallard"!

:laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom