What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Surely it only became either/or as people got it wrong.
'During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on some ammunition cases during that period.[1]'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

Got a cheap alloy bar from ebay to better go with the new shifters.
5cm narrower than the fat ones from the Norco, and fits the nicer Scott stem.

20180526_162733.jpg

Serge

Über Member
Removed the stabilisers and pedals from my daughter's bike. Hopefully she gets the hang of balancing without removing too much skin! I wish I'd have bought her a balance bike in the first place but grandad knows best!

Cleaned and lubed my bike and indexed the gears and finally managed to fit the bottle cage, pump and lock to my satisfaction. I only tried about ten different combinations before I was happy.

DSC_0932.JPG

It took me so long I'm now too pissed to go out for a ride!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had put up with juddering and squealing from the front disk brake on my CX bike for nearly 2 years but had finally had enough of it while I was in Wales last week. I took a look down the sides of the disk and saw that I hadn't centred the brake assembly properly so one pad was pretty much touching the disk rotor while the other was some distance away. I loosened the mounting bolts, applied the brake hard, then tightened the bolts again before releasing the brake lever. The assembly is still slightly off centre but the brake performance has been transformed. I now get really smooth, progressive braking and it is almost silent. I don't know why I took 2 years to get round to doing a 2 minute job - D'oh! :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A saddle change was my fettle yesterday for today's ride.

I had been getting on OK with the Brooks Aged saddle which came with the bike, but frustratingly in the last few months it has become increasingly uncomfortable.

This is a problem not to be under-estimated, it had reached the point where I was reluctant to take on my longer 50+ mile rides due to having to do the last 20 miles mostly standing up.

So it was off with the Brooks and on with - a Brooks, albeit a slightly wider one which came with my other bike.

The change seems to have worked.

I felt today's 52 mile ride while I was doing it, but an hour later there's no lingering discomfort.

A relief in more ways than one.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I had put up with juddering and squealing from the front disk brake on my CX bike for nearly 2 years but had finally had enough of it while I was in Wales last week. I took a look down the sides of the disk and saw that I hadn't centred the brake assembly properly so one pad was pretty much touching the disk rotor while the other was some distance away. I loosened the mounting bolts, applied the brake hard, then tightened the bolts again before releasing the brake lever. The assembly is still slightly off centre but the brake performance has been transformed. I now get really smooth, progressive braking and it is almost silent. I don't know why I took 2 years to get round to doing a 2 minute job - D'oh! :wacko:

You could just kick yourself sometimes couldn't you?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could just kick yourself sometimes couldn't you?
And I haven't even mentioned suffering the same kind of problem that @Pale Rider had been having ... :whistle: (Yes, this is about ColinJ-fettling rather than bike fettling!)

I was starting to develop a saddle sore on my holiday but I ignored it for a couple of days, thinking that it would get better ... It didn't! :surrender:

I ended up mid-week riding nearly 15 miles standing up to get back to my holiday cottage. After that, I limped round to the village shop and bought a small tub of Sudocreme - instant relief after applying some of that!

The next day I soaked a wad of tissue in the stuff and gaffer-taped it on top of the offending sore. Doing that got me through the rest of my holiday without further damage.

I'm now having a day or two off the bike to make sure that I am back to full saddle comfort for my 200 km forum ride next Saturday! :laugh:

Last edited:
And I haven't even mentioned suffering the same kind of problem that @Pale Rider had been having ... :whistle: (Yes, this is about ColinJ-fettling rather than bike fettling!)

I was starting to develop a saddle sore on my holiday but I ignored it for a couple of days, thinking that it would get better ... It didn't! :surrender:

I ended up mid-week riding nearly 15 miles standing up to get back to my holiday cottage. After that, I limped round to the village shop and bought a small tub of Sudocreme - instant relief after applying some of that!

The next day I soaked a wad of tissue in the stuff and gaffer-taped it on top of the offending sore. Doing that got me through the rest of my holiday without further damage.

I'm now having a day or two off the bike to make sure that I am back to full saddle comfort for my 200 km forum ride next Saturday! :laugh:
Glad you managed to get to the bottom of it, Colin (@ColinJ).

Top Bottom