What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Used my fiancee's bikes wheels to get it temporarily off it's arse and started getting the 700c mudguards to fit the upcoming 26" new wheels. The whole bike sits lower to the ground than my vantage did. Good thing :smile:
Still lots of work to do.

20180520_203059.jpg

Mickled the chain on the Wiggins and gave her an all-over wipe down.

Bar tape is beginning to look a wee bit grubby after 18 months of ownership, but it's still plenty serviceable enough.

D

Deleted member 1258

Fettling fail this afternoon, defeated by a shimano click R spd pedal. A little bit of play in the left pedal on my Eastway, brought the tool, two and a half quid from Halfords, looked at several online video's, and thought that wont take long, set to work and found I couldn't get it apart, :banghead:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fitted the bottom bracket.
Stripped, cleaned, regreased and fitted the chainset.
Fitted the saddle.
Trimmed the steerer but didn't cut it square so when I fitted the star nut the tool got jammed in. Grrr. Clamped the forks in my cheapo work bench and used them as leverage to free it. No harm done.
Greased the headset and fitted the stem properly.
Fitted a bottle cage and stuck Allen bolts in all the empty brazen on's. I hate empty screw threads....they just beg to be...well...screwed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Washed 3 x MTBs this afternoon, all long overdue.

Good job I did because although the kids bikes were in good shape I found a couple of issues with my own steed.

Spotted the R/H XT spd pedal had started unscrewing off the axle! opened it up and regreased/adjusted the bearings then screwed it back together nice'n'tight. Also nipped a bit of play out of the headset.

I had also washed Mrs Skol's MTB yesterday so now have a fleet of 4 x sparkly GT MTBs ready for action.

I don't know what is happening to me? That is now 5 bikes cleaned including the commuter done in the last 3 days......

I thought I would try to sort out the problem I was having with vibration . I removed a 5 speed freewheel from an old bike . The freewheel was a Shimano, a little bit rusty but otherwise in good condition . I removed the wheel from the Flying Scot and swapped the freewheels over and replaced the wheel .
The wheel ran a lot better but there was still some vibration. Closer inspection revealed that the jockey wheels on the Campag rear mech weren't turning! I slackened off the axle bolts which allowed the wheels to turn and stopped the vibration . I will have to put some thread lock on them before I test ride the bike .
I thought it would be nice to see what the bike would look like with some blue handlebar tape on . Why is it they never seem to give you enough tape ? After 5 attempts I managed to have enough left over to put inside the end of the bar . I managed to do the other side with slightly less attempts .
IMGP7597.JPG

Top Bottom