What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I picked up a pair of Continental Sport Contact tyres a couple of months ago when I found them for sale at £10 each. They're 42x559, which fit my two 26" wheel bikes. As they're a lot more supple than the Land Cruisers I've been MTBing on so far this year, I thought they might be a bit of fun during the summer as most of the surfaces I ride on tend to dry and harden.

I put them on my GT Avalanche yesterday, but I managed to grunge up and/or displace the disc brake pads somehow, so I got a horrible noise from the front wheel - not a great start. But today I've taken the wheel off again and cleaned things out, and it seems quiet now (and the brake still works). I'll try them on the road later.

Oh, and I gave the Avalanche a good all-over clean while I was at it, together with my Raleigh touring bike.
I went for a 20-mile run on them this afternoon, and the difference is striking - the Sport Contacts are a lot faster than the Land Cruisers! Yep, they'll be fun :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
Took pedals off

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My Charge Plug 2 commuter ticked over its first thousand miles today so I treated it to a quick clean and fettle. I noticed the headset was starting to develop some play so tightened that up while I was at it. I bought it as a workhorse with the intention of using and abusing it but I quite quickly grew rather fond of it... It's a bit of a tank but it's great to ride. I've got a rack and top bag on the way for it so will report back when they've arrived and been fitted :smile: Until then, happy thousand mile day :okay::cheers:
View attachment 409594

Tidy looking rig. I'm loving those gumwall tyres :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't remember whether I did or didn't now, a washer or two wouldn't have been a problem, anything else would have been a worry.
After my recent bike fettle I found one little cylinder of metal and worried about that until I realised that it was a pin from the new chain that I had just shortened. But then I spotted the unfitted chainring and 5 chainring bolts ... :whistle:

Incidentally - I just spotted something on the picture I posted of my bike above ... a protective pad had fallen off and left a sticky patch which had got gunged up. I had missed it when I cleaned the bike so I just went and wiped it off!

Oily mark on chainstay.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My Charge Plug 2 commuter ticked over its first thousand miles today so I treated it to a quick clean and fettle. I noticed the headset was starting to develop some play so tightened that up while I was at it. I bought it as a workhorse with the intention of using and abusing it but I quite quickly grew rather fond of it... It's a bit of a tank but it's great to ride. I've got a rack and top bag on the way for it so will report back when they've arrived and been fitted :smile: Until then, happy thousand mile day :okay::cheers:

View attachment 409594

Interesting seatstays. What is that style called? Likeable.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Fitted a new chain onto the Defy, patched two tubes and gave the frame a wipe clean.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Sigh.
Discovered the mech hanger was bent from my off earlier.
Trying to unscrew it had the bolt spinning in the frame and numerous attempts to undo it have ended up rounding it off.
Sooo, I tried to straighten it in situ. The hanger has straightened. But the dropout is bent and as such the hanger now rocks on the bolt which can't be tightened. FFS!
Haven't got a spare bolt which rules out drilling it and I'm picking up the new frame&forks Saturday anyway so I'm leaving it.

RIP old friend.

009 copy.jpg

Stripped down my front wheel to free the hub for its rebuild.

Top Bottom