What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I'm assuming you mean *CREAKING* :laugh:

Not sure I'd want to ride on a seat post that was freaking out every time I put my botty on the saddle. :wacko:
Lol. Duly edited. :smile:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Some new signs for work.
20180518_111513.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am off to Wales for a week with a friend. I spotted that the lower jockey wheel on her rear derailleur was about as worn as it is possible to be without having already failed! There were just the tiniest of sharp spikey points left to mesh with the chain and the wheel was flopping about all over the place. A bit of a panic because we are off first thing in the morning so I pinched a replacement from my mountain bike. While I was at it I cleaned the rear mech and the chain on her bike. The chain runs a lot more smoothly now.

I put a second bottle cage on my bike in case I get the chance to do any longer rides. (I probably won't because my friend's limit is around 25 miles but she has said that she would be okay with catching the train back from somewhere like Pwllheli while I cycled back to our cottage. That would add another 25-30 miles to my day and I would be needing that second bottle.

I also put a GPS mount on the bike that I will be taking. Which reminds me - I need to make sure that I can program routes into the GPS from my new laptop. I haven't done it from that laptop before. I'll test it now ...

PS It took a bit of setting up the simulated serial port for the GPS (I use a USB to RS232 converter cable to connect to my ancient GPS) but I finally got it working.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't know if the sun got to me or maybe I have just been cooped up for too long without going for a big, long, hard bike ride?
Today decided to take the mudguards off the hybrid ready for the summer (I don't usually bother???) and one thing led to another. Before I knew it the bike was given a (quick) wash and then noticed one of the rear brake pads was down to the metal.
I knew the rear disc was getting seriously thin so already had a new disc and pads waiting to go. Cleaned out the XT caliper before pushing back the pistons. All good now and new disc should last another 18,000+ miles.

upload_2018-5-19_15-37-8.png

upload_2018-5-19_15-35-41.png

Measured thickness of old disc and it is only 1.1mm! Min thickness stated on the new disc is 1.5mm :laugh:

upload_2018-5-19_15-34-50.png

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have fitted a rack to juniors bike in preparation for next weekends trip.

I have also adjusted the gears so he can use the small chain ring. He will be needing that.

As it is lawn mower season I dug the old Qualcast push along mower out . The chain was missing a split link so as my chain oil filter removal tool isn't much use I robbed a link from that . I know the tool can come in handy for removing freewheels but I was on a mission .
I removed both sprockets riveted the link back together and slipped it over the sprockets and fitted them back on . The chain is slack and needs replacing but after sharpening the blades and adjusting a few things it now cuts grass.

13 rider

Guru
Changed the front tyre as I noticed a split in the side wall of the front tyre . Swapped it for the giant stock tyre that came with the bike new continental ordered . Then noticed a split in the rim on the rear wheel coming from a spoke nipple not good . With an imperial ton planned for tomorrow change the rear wheel for the stock giant wheel that came with the bike . Might be time for new wheels

I did some tinkering this afternoon. I fitted a new QR axle to a rear wheel, adjusted the cones, polished the rim and hubs and fitted a new 5 speed freewheel.
I then decided to fit all of the components I have bought and made and fit them on my Flying Scot. I haven't tested it as I came across a few problems . The freewheel feels really rough and makes the whole frame vibrate . New cube bearing technology ! :whistle: The brake cable outer was lacking the ferrule and pulled through when I applied the rear brake .
As it was getting late in the day I decided that it can wait until tomorrow . The Flying Scot is gradually coming together .
IMGP7591.JPG

Top Bottom