What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Washed another bike today! Brand new, but apparently @dan_bo thought it looked dirty! All shiny and bright now :smile:
Bet it took you all of oooooh 87 seconds

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Trimmed, cleaned and fitted the kickstand.
Trimmed the front mudguard as it was too long at the back.
Fitted the derailleurs.
Fitted the rear light on the rear mudguard (that way the rack can come and go without rewiring all the time).
The replacement 1.5" City Jet tyres arrived. I ordered tan/gumwall versions as I'm going for the classic look on the bike...They sent me blackwalls. Tossers. Meh.

I finally got round to fitting that new front brake tonight. I'm leaving its black arm protector on for now as I may re-cable/tape the bike and fit 50/34 chain rings if I have time on Bank Holiday Monday.

IMG_20180524_220823_267.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My wheels and cable stops arrived today!
Had a few issues getting the derailleurs to cooperate but I think I'm nearly there. The front downshift from big to middle requires a bit too much force for my liking. Stop screw and cable tension adjustment needed.
Put the cassette and chain on, trimmed the cables and put air in the tyres...I decided I need smaller tubes as the ones supplied are a little on the chunky side. I think the rear now has a pinch hole as a result.

Time for a test ride..........:hyper:

D

Deleted member 1258

Fettling fail this afternoon, defeated by a shimano click R spd pedal. A little bit of play in the left pedal on my Eastway, brought the tool, two and a half quid from Halfords, looked at several online video's, and thought that wont take long, set to work and found I couldn't get it apart, :banghead:

Got this sorted Wednesday night, it took my big adjustable and my big persuader to get in, it wasn't in bad shape, still had some grease in it, just a bit of free play. I stripped it, regreased it and reassembled it. On my ride Thursday most of the creak had gone, I think what's left is cleats. Friday afternoon I tweaked the front changer, I put a 48 tooth outer ring on a few weeks ago and ran into a problem with the chain dropping between the rings on the down change, I thought I'd cured it by tweaking the cable tension but it came back, so I went over the changer setup and checked everything was right with it, I'll see if it's cured it on my next ride, though it seemed good whilst working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Fitted the Fizik stem and carbon bars this afternoon. Used fresh tape too. No prizes for the brand. :smile:

There’s something very satisfying about taping bars. I spend ages doing it, but enjoy every minute getting it just right.

Sad, I know, but the journey is the destination!

Symmetry is everything. :smile:

Top Bottom