What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Rebuilt my TSDZ2 motor with a new torque sensor installed - put back on the hybrid and went on a test ride and its still dead:sad: Very wary of spending any more time and money on it so do I buy another and flog off all the parts I do not need or do I buy one of these https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/3717/products/giant-entour-e1-disc-e-hybrid-bike-2019-steel-blue.aspx?
I’d buy the later knowing it’s got a decent motor, battery and a warranty

Replaced both inner derailleur cables and what a faff. The faff was due to the old cables having a coating on them which when pulled through bunched up. Some of this coating left itself inside the final loop of the RD outer and some more inside the outer by the shifter, which was a beggar to get out. Once in and indexed and now the 105 feels as smooth as butter. The old cables were the original from 2015 so can`t complain.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Spent all day in the workshop today, changed a bent chainring and fitted a new chain on my Brompton and then tackled this horror!

View attachment 506487

View attachment 506488

View attachment 506489

View attachment 506490

View attachment 506491

Firstly I jet washed it and then detailed it, it took hours, the brakes were so bad they ended up in the bin, luckily I had a spare set in my box of treasure. The drivetrain was filthy and rusty but responded to treatment, with a wire brush, lots of oil and WD40.

View attachment 506492

View attachment 506493

View attachment 506494

In the end it came up OK, you’d never win the Tour de France on it but it’ll make a good commuter for someone and the only expenditure was some new handlebar tape.

View attachment 506495

Is that your cyclocross bike?

Mike_P

Guru
Giant fettling today - new ebike has mobile phone app and uses the phone as its display so the first thing needed was a rather worrying download of new firmware for the ebike. A rather anxious few minutes but all went well. Then I noticed a loud rubbing noise as I wheeled it forward and did a short test ride to the end of the street and back which confirmed an intermittent rubbing noise which I immediately traced to the rear disc brakes and redid their alignment to no avail. So off with the wheel, ebike flippable once battery is removed, and the brake pads removed and yes one of the pistons was slightly proud. The tyre lever trick failed to budge it so off to LBS for the appropriate tool as this is my first bike with disc brakes. Wheel refitted now a continuous loud rubbing noise so redid the alignment of the pads again and again to avail. Then out of the corner of my eye I noticed a mudguard clip rubbing on the wheel.
Now quietened took it for a very short test ride as I do not get on with flat pedals and the SPDs have yet arrive. That showed the seat height was a touch too high. Back home a light bulb moment - the Defy has its seat post marked for your height so I know that is bang on. Used a 1m metal rule to measure the height of the top of the saddle on the Defy and the ebike adjusted accordingly. Bottle cage added, a cheap Halfords alloy one but IME they do the job perfectly.
Time out from the bikes to wash a filthy car and then cabled up the Defys new rear derailleur for the third time. First time was using the previous derailleurs cable but not only was it fraying at the derailleur end I had discovered it was fraying at the hood to the point it took ages to extract it. The second cable I thought was fitted okay to cut but subsequent need to pull it tighter resulted in that fraying alarmingly. So it was indeed third time lucky. So here are the two bikes making the back yard look a bit like a Giant showroom.

The lack of markings on the ebike looks a bit odd to me - it does have Giant on the front of the head tube but in dark grey which makes it pretty invisible.

Last edited:
New chain, & cassette onto the CGR

I'd originally just replaced the chain, after washing it on Monday afternoon, but riding to work 'early doors' Tuesday morning, resulted in some jumping on the higher sprockets (numerically lower), so as I've had a new cassette that wasn't used 2 chains ago, it went on
(KMC X10)

In addition, the drivetrain is silent again, when it's reversed out of its parking place at work

Mike_P

Guru
More Giant fettling today - changed the inner tyres on the ebike to ones with removable cores and filled them with slime, while the Defy got its auxiliary brake levers secured properly for the first time since I changed the bar tape, having found some padding of the appropriate thickness. They are very useful when pot hole spotting allowing a more upright stance. Decided the ebike needed some lettering on its down tube to brighten it up so ordered some white Giant die cut letters from an ebay seller which match the style of those on the Defy. Also sorted out the shelving in the bike shed as it was overcrowded as I had found Homebase selling waterproof storage cases for £5 so all the non Aldi bike tool set tools are now in one.

Mike_P

Guru
When i move into a low gear, my chain rattles. Anyone help how to fix this?
Check the clearance between the rear derailleur and the cassette - its should be pretty close without the chain getting trapped partly between them. You use the B-screw on the derailleur to adjust this, I find it quite therapeutic watching the chain as I adjust it, you want it so the chain gracefully moves between the two at a angle that looks natural.
If its the front derailleur and you are on the largest chainring is probably just one of those things, there is usually a limit on the combinations that can be catered for and in that case its best to have that rattle and a corresponding one of small chainring and smallest cassette cog as a warning that really you should be on the other chainwheel.

Top Bottom