What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you mean SR Suntour XCM you may be able to wind up the preload to make them a little firmer, and if you know the exact model you may also be able to source a replacement harder spring.
Suntour may have improved this fork in the last couple of years but my experience is with a neighbours older MTB, the preload adjust made no noticeable difference and they were a very stiff fork. If @MonsterEnergy is a lightweight rider then he may be wanting softer suspension?
As you say the OP may be able to get a different spring, I didn’t realise this was an option with this fork, you learn something new every day ^_^

MonsterEnergy

Suntour may have improved this fork in the last couple of years but my experience is with a neighbours older MTB, the preload adjust made no noticeable difference and they were a very stiff fork. If @MonsterEnergy is a lightweight rider then he may be wanting softer suspension?
As you say the OP may be able to get a different spring, I didn’t realise this was an option with this fork, you learn something new every day ^_^
so could i possibly get the sam 120mm travel but different make. e.g Rockshox. Would that make a difference?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
so could i possibly get the sam 120mm travel but different make. e.g Rockshox. Would that make a difference?
Is the fork you have too stiff or too soft, what don’t you like about it?
You could try what @Nibor suggests, a different spring?
You could get another fork but for complete adjustment to suit your riding and your body weight then you would need an air fork and they are not cheap.

MonsterEnergy

You could get another fork but for complete adjustment to suit your riding and your body weight then you would need an air fork and they are not cheap.
its too stiff

MonsterEnergy

what would i search? Sorry to be a pain

MonsterEnergy

Air suspension fork
okay....thanks. I will probably save up for one...Maybe
thanks anyway...great help

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Adjusted and checked over my son's Cervelo following a racing incident in his U16 race earlier; both him and bike OK - he managed to finish so that's points and 3rd cat next year.

Cleaned:
  • His Columbus X-wing commuter as it'd been through previously flooded paths
  • My Avanti commuter
  • Some cassettes of winter gunk
Fitted a new axle to a rear Mavic vintage wheel I got this week as part of a pair. The rear had a snapped axle so the seller gave me an extra Campagnolo Record rear for free :becool:

Pulled the NeilPryde out of storage and checked over for possible use tomorrow.

Batteries into an old PowerTap rear wheel and we'll see if it still works: bought 'unchecked' which tells me it probably won't.

Gunk

Guru
Spent all day in the workshop today, changed a bent chainring and fitted a new chain on my Brompton and then tackled this horror!

D4000048-9599-4A16-8426-A778D48F0325.jpeg

EC81CCB8-0C1A-4FC5-8BAA-EA818DA1E747.jpeg

516A6690-2F72-4AC6-BE5C-13D9381AE3F5.jpeg

059C4E0A-CA36-4CAA-B7DB-790F7B584678.jpeg

D9B9D0E2-E381-4B12-8428-9AF4DBDB3957.jpeg

Firstly I jet washed it and then detailed it, it took hours, the brakes were so bad they ended up in the bin, luckily I had a spare set in my box of treasure. The drivetrain was filthy and rusty but responded to treatment, with a wire brush, lots of oil and WD40.

9F539EEA-53AC-4672-80EF-6EC5E886BAE8.jpeg

9F65AAD9-1C53-414F-A223-C04998F6595A.jpeg

F31753F7-655C-478D-BBC6-AB0C7788FD06.jpeg

In the end it came up OK, you’d never win the Tour de France on it but it’ll make a good commuter for someone and the only expenditure was some new handlebar tape.

DA76D3B9-78D3-434A-BA28-549AEDDAEDD4.jpeg

After buying a new bottom bracket cable guide a couple of weeks back and then finding it did`nt fit as I mentioned in a previous posting. I looked at it again and thought why not drill another mounting hole about 5mm away I have nothing to loose. In doing so and then fitting it allowed the cables not to foul the frame. Now why did`nt I think of that before ? A quick indexing set up and away she went.
With that added hole it has shifted the cables away from the frame. A lot of cable guides have more than one mounting hole anyway.

Last edited:
I thought my chain sounded a little strained on climbing last week so I ordered a new chain and cassette. New chain was fitted tonight and if it doesn't skip on tomorrow's ride, fine, no more fettling for now; if not the new cassette will need fitting. It a bit infuriating I'm having to do all fettling just now by eye as I'm still waiting for my fingertip nerves to grow back post chemo, so I'd rather the former but given a broken link found I'm betting on the latter.
img_20200229_175837-jpg.jpg

Top Bottom