What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Your fettle may well have sorted it, but if it happens on a ride a good tip is to bounce the back wheel off the ground a few times.

The shock will often persuade it to work again.

Also worth a go if you lose drive.
Thanks for this. There was a lot of grit at the base of the free hub body which I cleaned out so it will no doubt happen again. I'm going to call at Decathlon today while I'm out with my son to pick up some white grease, etc. so I can give it all a proper clean and re-grease (next week, hopefully).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Fitted drop bars, levers, brakes, cables and bar tape to my new Marin Muirwoods View attachment 505440
are you able to change the front arms around on your rack, so the front lifts up and level??

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Fettling is probably not quite the right term, but I popped in to a colleague's workshop and availed myself of the 6" engineer's vice he's got bolted to a nice heavy bench that isn't going anywhere.
My Raleigh roadster forks were clamped tightly in and a length of scaffold tube slid over the end of the LH fork blade and a little gentle persuasive pressure applied, until I had lessened the amount of accident damage misalignment. The blades/dropouts also had a bit of twist in them, so they were not quite at right angles to the fork crown, which caused the wheel to point at a slight angle when the steering was set straight ahead.. I clamped each dropout in the vice in turn, and used a length of flat steel bar inserted between the blades just below the crown, to twist each blade until the crown axis looked to be at right angles to the dropouts.
When I got home I trial fitted the front wheel in the fork, which revealed it's much better, but still needs a bit more tweaking before I'll be happy with it, plus the RH dropout needs filing slightly deeper to compensate for a small difference in the effective length of the two fork blades. I'm just thankful it's made of steel and not carbon fibre!

CXRAndy

Guru
My JCB circular saw developed a very noisy grinding bearing/s. I know its a cheap saw but has some nice easy adjust features. I decided to strip down, use my newly acquired bearing puller kit. It came apart so easily and doddle to diagnose. Large front bearing had collapsed discarding the bearing cage.

20 mins later, new set of bearings installed and rewire cable after I cut into it on day one

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
20 mins later, new set of bearings installed and rewire cable after I cut into it on day one

It's always satisfying repairing something that has gone wrong that numptys would just stare at blankly before tossing it in the bin. Even better if you salvage something discarded by someone else then resurrect it at minimal cost. I pulled a portable colour TV out of a skip that just needed a plug fuse, it worked perfectly afterwards!

JhnBssll

Veteran
It's always satisfying repairing something that has gone wrong that numptys would just stare at blankly before tossing it in the bin. Even better if you salvage something discarded by someone else then resurrect it at minimal cost. I pulled a portable colour TV out of a skip that just needed a plug fuse, it worked perfectly afterwards!

I was given 4 identical LCD computer monitors by the last place I worked at as they were all broken. 4 electrolytic capacitors and about 80p later and they were all fully functional and on eBay :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Big business doesn't want us to keep using & fixing older things, they just want us to chuck stuff away and buy new, even if the old stuff is easily repairable. So much for being "green".....

CXRAndy

Guru
Big business doesn't want us to keep using & fixing older things, they just want us to chuck stuff away and buy new, even if the old stuff is easily repairable. So much for being "green".....

My trade/business was TV repair and every other type of electronic equipment. It was a great, satisfying job. Actually I treated it as a hobby, just loved repairing things.

Sad day when new TVs/Video/DVD players were so cheap that my business was no longer viable. I enjoyed my 20 years in the trade.

All my friends and college mates have all left the trade. There used to be 10 Repair shops where I had my shop, when I closed, there were 2 left. Now none:sad:

Just a waste of resources,. I see so much equipment in the local tip it makes you cry.

I salvaged a 48 port network (POE) Cisco switch. I looked it up, £800+vat new:ohmy:

It may not be a gigabit speed but it works perfectly and will do for a few years until I find a gigabit version

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All my friends and college mates have all left the trade. There used to be 10 Repair shops where I had my shop, when I closed, there were 2 left. Now none:sad:

Just a waste of resources,. I see so much equipment in the local tip it makes you cry.

So ordinary people were "saving the planet" by routinely repairing and salvaging stuff, but not making a fuss about it, long before the concept got hijacked by the eco virtue-signallers, who try to make out it's something new!
I'm no tree-hugger, but modern consumerist, big-business controlled society is incredibly wasteful and exploitative of cheap labour. Before manufacturing globalisation, throwaway economics didn't add up.

D

Deleted member 1258

So ordinary people were "saving the planet" by routinely repairing and salvaging stuff, but not making a fuss about it, long before the concept got hijacked by the eco virtue-signallers, who try to make out it's something new!
I'm no tree-hugger, but modern consumerist, big-business controlled society is incredibly wasteful and exploitative of cheap labour. Before manufacturing globalisation, throwaway economics didn't add up.

Yes we made do and mended stuff. Just after we were married our friends fridge packed up, they had a new fridge we had the old one, I put a new thermostat in it and we used it for years, in the end we replaced it with a bigger one and gave it to a friend who needed one.

Top Bottom