What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

Spent this Evening, building a few small bike ramps/jumps to use on grass banks to get some air time, and for my mini trail. Although because there's so many trees by my trail, you can't get very much speed, but will try and clear out a lot of space to fit a bike jump, which should be fun. BUT, it will takes absolutly ages.but it will keep me and my younger brother, occupied.
If anyone has got any ideas on how to make a small jump/ramps, drop offs, out of small pieces of wood, and with a little mud, Please reply to this post.
Thanks

I ought to change the chain, & clean the cassette/jockey wheels/chainrings on my CGR

Thankfully senior managements C-HR is out at the road-side, so I can take the workstand into the garage to do it
Or ought I to wait whilst next weekend, due to the inclement weather we're receiving (another weeks muck/rain won't make a lot of difference)

MonsterEnergy

I spent today building a few wooden jumps/ramps. Big and Small, and was great fun
Hopefully be testing them next wk, when the whether chears up.
Could i use wooden jumps on concrete, or would it be best to do it on grass?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A day of general fettling thanks to Storm Dennis

A few days ago I found a pair of old stubby bar ends while looking for something else - these went on the Bootzipper
The Giant flatbar and the Ventus commuter were given a quick frame clean and a chain cleaning and lubing
The rear tyre on the Spa was changed as it was badly cut and, checking the tyre after last weekend's puncture, a couple of them had gone through the carcas. This also involved re-setting the mudguard as the old tyre was a 32mm, the new one a 37 .
The wheels on the Pickenflick flatbar were changed from the Superstar Components) (red rims) to the spare set of handbuilts (black rims) I had for the Spa.
The chainset on the Planet X was removed and the bottom bracket re-tightened as a creak has developed recently, although being a SRAM GPX it probably needs replacing anyhow. The seat post, saddle, etc will all be checked in due course once it dries out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fettle today was a tubeless tyre sealant top up.

There was a little left in both tyres, but the front was losing pressure and there was hardly a teaspoonful in that one.

Unfortunately, resealing proved hard despite me managing it last time.

After about an hour of frustration, I bit the bullet and set out in search of a compressed air inflator.

Edinburgh Bikes in Newcastle had a Specialized Blaster in stock, which I thought was a good effort because I don't imagine it's a fast seller.

They also gave me a couple of presta valve cores - I managed to bend one of mine messing around.

I removed the valve cores, and with the correct tool the job proceeded relatively smoothly.

The front took a couple of goes even with the Blaster.

I used a method we used to use on car tyres which is to lean the tyre against the wall at a shallow angle, and apply pressure to the centre of the wheel as the air goes in.

Works well, particularly if you only have one bead to seal.

The tool was £55, but worth it to do the job reliably and at a time when I want to do it.

My local bike shop is pretty good, but you do sometimes have to book jobs in ahead of time, and leaving the bike there for a day is a faff.

One thing I noticed was a small amount of sealer appeared around a couple of spoke holes.

This despite there being Schwalbe tubeless rim tape and two wraps of Gorilla tape on the rim.

Who'd have thought getting a container with 33 holes drilled in it would be hard to make airtight.

This time I used OKO sealant, which I've never heard of but is only eight quid for a big bottle.

I need a lot to smear around the inside of my large balloon tyres.

The stuff looks the same as any other, and while it's recommended for garden tractors and the like, a blow up tyre is a blow up tyre.

It does say it's not recommended for speeds above 50mph, so any demon descenders should look elsewhere.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/specialized-air-tool-blast

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Off-Road-Tyre-Sealant-Puncture/dp/B006THGZZ2

The weather is seriously shite today, so I packed the headset bearings in the Hybrid with extra grease before setting off.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
This is what I use.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSOKOMMT/oko-magic-milk-tyre-sealant

My wife uses a mobility scooter which has pneumatic tyres, I was buying Slime for her tyres, lots of thorns!! most of her journeys are 2 miles on a diss used railway line.

I bought a 5 litre so I always have it in stock, its in my tubeless bike tyres too, £39.99 works out a lot cheaper than slime for the scooter and appears to do the job well.
I had a 10mm slice in a tubeless tyre that sealed with a worm....However, I failed:sad: by putting to much pressure in with CO2

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is what I use.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSOKOMMT/oko-magic-milk-tyre-sealant

My wife uses a mobility scooter which has pneumatic tyres, I was buying Slime for her tyres, lots of thorns!! most of her journeys are 2 miles on a diss used railway line.

I bought a 5 litre so I always have it in stock, its in my tubeless bike tyres too, £39.99 works out a lot cheaper than slime for the scooter and appears to do the job well.
I had a 10mm slice in a tubeless tyre that sealed with a worm....However, I failed:sad: by putting to much pressure in with CO2
View attachment 504773
Same brand and it looks like the same stuff.

Cheap, as you say.

I used close to half of my big bottle, but that's still only four quid for each pair of top ups.

Incidentally, after spinning the wheel of the tyre which was losing pressure, a couple of dribbles of sealant appeared on the tread.

I can't see anything in the tyre from the outside, but I suppose a better job would be to check the inside as well.

Now that would be messy.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
The 5 litres I bought came with a syringe kit to fill either presta or schrada , I have 4 large tyres on the scooter to fill so its good for me to have in stock, just get fed up of the other half saying " just check my sealant"
Maybe the dribbles are just the porosity of the tyre sealing up or previous "p's" that have re sealed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The 5 litres I bought came with a syringe kit to fill either presta or schrada , I have 4 large tyres on the scooter to fill so its good for me to have in stock, just get fed up of the other half saying " just check my sealant"
Maybe the dribbles are just the porosity of the tyre sealing up or previous "p's" that have re sealed

I think so, I could hear a low hiss for a few seconds, but no longer.

To complete this deeply fascinating topic, my cheapo Halfords track pump would only put about 85psi in the Blaster.

The guy in the shop said they aim for about 100psi, and the tool is rated to 140psi.

A better track pump might have saved me having to do one tyre twice.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have a "coke bottle" gheto blaster, however have only needed this when making non tubeless tyres tubeless, land cruisers as a bit of an experiment.
The Michelin power gravel and Vittoria trail tech I have now fitted did not need any more than a track pump, they are both tubeless tyres so a tight fit.
I have a spare 1kg fire extinguisher that I will adapt to make a "blaster" should the need arise, I might make it anyway...

Top Bottom