What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

What do you think about including in my mtb trail im building with no tools. Ive made a couple of small jumps out of wood, and am making a small trail in woods nearby

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
What do you think about including in my mtb trail im building with no tools. Ive made a couple of small jumps out of wood, and am making a small trail in woods nearby
Is it a public right of way?
If so please be careful/mindful of others who might injure themselves on YOUR jumps.
Then claim compensation from you!

That's the sad state of affairs we live in.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
At the weekend our Panasonic recorder (HDD and DVD) failed as Mrs S kindly pointed out when I returned from a ride. Top off and saw 3 capacitors had blown their tops off. Found them on ebay, ordered them and they arrived today. Out to the garage, replaced said capacitors, back indoors and plug in. "Please wait" flashed in the display and sure enough it came back to life. Top on, connected up and job done. I like to keep my hand in, so to speak. Very satisfying to repair something rather than bin it.

Hmm, I will try again after posting this in the wrong thread...

A new 10 speed chain fitted this morning , the other worked ok with the new cassette but it was noisy, I was surprised at the difference when I laid them side by side, I didn't think it was that worn , ah well all working fine and buttery smooth and quite, I cant be doing with noisy transmission I like the only the sound of tyres on tarmac and my breathing panting for breath.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Moved mine too ^_^

I have recently swapped chains too... my chain measuring thingy's (2 different makes) were saying nearly at 75% (11speed) however I was also surprised at the length new to old when laid side by side, however this was existing Shimano and a new FSA that I know wont last long

D

Deleted member 1258

Moved mine too ^_^

I have recently swapped chains too... my chain measuring thingy's (2 different makes) were saying nearly at 75% (11speed) however I was also surprised at the length new to old when laid side by side, however this was existing Shimano and a new FSA that I know wont last long
how they wear is always surprising, a few years ago I had a male/female half link in the transmission of my fixed, I used it with two chains separate and was going to use it with a third chain but looked at the wear on it when I took it off and replaced it, the pins were worn half way through.

roley poley

Über Member
A strange crunchy sound from my right pedal turned out to be a crushed ball bearing as where there should have been 13 in the race there was 12 and crumbs. Never had that happen before.New balls for all ,clean out and grease . Also the sticking return of the rear brommie brake solved by stripping and solvent cleaning all moving parts of what I can only describe as glue in the pivot points ! Darn sure I used brown grease and a drop of oil over time not Bostick

MonsterEnergy

Come on add some pictures of stuff uve done today.
Go out and build some jumps...My freinds have taken diggers down into queensferry somewhere, with there digger, and made massive tabletops, spines...etc..They are insane

Drago

Legendary Member
Out on a ride today popped yet another spoke on my Aksiums. I'd bought them for my Felt, but when they proved troublesome I replaced them with DT Swiss jobs and demoted the Aksiums to my general purpose Pinnacle. Well, no more - the original cheapo, but hassle free, CPX 22's that were on the Felt when I bought it have now gone on the Pinnacle, and the sheet Aksiums consigned to the wall hanger of shame. In the warmer weather I may rebuild them myself with decent spokes and sort them properly, but until then I don't even want to loom at them - not at all suitable for heavy, powerful riders, and I wish I'd never bought them.

So, yeah, in a nutshell I swapped an moderately expensive but crap set of wheels off the Pinnacle, and replaced them with a cheap but perfectly reliable pair.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
With both kids recently upgrading to 24 inch wheeled bikes, it's time to turn my attention to cleaning up their old bikes to sell. My daughters Puky bike has a SRAM i3 rear hub which apparently has a coaster brake in it, however, it's never worked. It's never been a problem though because it also has front and rear v-brakes. With the bike being sold though, I thought it was a good time to strip it down and finally make it work. A quick flick through the internet turns up an interesting fact that apparently SRAM recalled a bunch of these hubs because of a problem with the grease used in assembly that caused the brake to gum up. The strip down was delayed though when I discovered a key lock nut was 22mm and I didn't have a 22mm locknut spanner. So today with a shiny new lock nut spanner in hand, I embarked on the strip down.

I think it's safe to say, my hub is one of those effected by the grease problem, this stuff is like treacle! It may look reasonably clean, but that's one gummed up hub and coaster brake. At the top of the picture, those upright cylinders are meant to be pushed outwards and onto the brake shoes, by a cam on the inside. Whilst the cylinders look clean, the whole affair is gummed right up. A little while later, I'd stripped and cleaned the brake assembly.

I was intending on finishing there and re-assembling everything, but with the whole gearbox covered in this treacle, I've taken the decision to strip and clean the lot. However, that's it for today, it's beer O'Clock.

Last edited:
Spent the morning trying to set up my new (used) Genesis Datum, hoping to get out for a ride later on, only to come up against a few problems. There's a warp in the rear disk rotor which I couldn't straighten out, the internal cabling for the gear cables was a bugger to finish, and I couldn't get the front mech to push the chain fully onto the big ring, even after checking the usual things like chain tension and limit screws.
So no ride today.:sad:

Top Bottom