What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Started the Raleigh Cameo today, it was filthy and can’t have ever been serviced, I hate V brakes! They took an age to get working and set up properly. Rear brakes were completely seized due to a rusted inner cable, fronts were not working as a bolt had come loose and the spring had popped out.

Both wheels bearings had to stripped and rebuilt, luckily the bottom bracket is a cartridge type so was Ok and head bearings just needed some grease and adjustment.

Tomorrow I’ll fit some new tyres replace the brake blocks and it should be good to go. All in £55 on the road. It’s a really pretty bike.

Tom B

Guru
Nowt exciting i'm afraid.

Took the cleat off my shoe and ground some more of the old nut off, now the new cleat sits better on the shoe and clips in and out nicely.
Turns out it was the cleat that was worn, not the pedal.

Good news i don't need new pedals, bad news, i need another set of cleats as those on my other shoes are equally sloppy.

Having looked at the thread about chainring wear i was considering posing a picture of mine for yellowsaddle to cast his expert eye over. But i couldnt be shamed with the filth of a couple of weeks of commuting. Made up a squirty bottle of degreaser and set about cleaning up the oily bits.
Further fettling ensued as whenever turned the pedals back the chain derailed on the derailleur top wheel.
Its still not right, but its better.

Gunk

Guru
Managed to grab a couple of hours this evening and finish it off.

Oiled everything, straightened the bent chain guard and refitted it.

4D16BE0B-7951-4AC3-8700-1494ED0F4695.jpeg

Fitted the front tyre, once the wheel was back in it took another 20 minutes to set up the front brakes but they’re spot on now

012D7B43-96B4-4151-A967-2B96F184C48E.jpeg

Had a quick ride around the block and it’s really good, brakes are very good, much better than I thought they would be.

Sadly lost the light before I could take a final grand reveal photo (I’ll take one in the morning) but here it is back under the porch, Mrs Gunk is going to test ride it tomorrow

6A0EA863-9558-46F4-8167-4CF7B53C469A.jpeg

Not so much fettling as preparing to fettle.

I looked around my two sheds this afternoon and realised I have enough frames, wheels and components to build three bikes. Nothing special, but if I am to go under house arrest for the next four months at least I will have some projects to work on.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
How are you finding the Bootzipper? I haven't seen any reviews.
I'm probably not the best one to provide a review of its true capabilities as I'm much more of a roadie and only put 200 miles on it, but...

I've got the 29er wheel size and it's probably on a par with similar bikes with suspension forks for weight due to it being all steel rather than aluminium. On road it's pretty comfortable and surprisingly rapid, but this may be in part due to me running the Panaracer 2.1" wide tyres at near max pressure (around 50psi). Despite this it's coped with what limited off roading I've done quite well. Nicely put together and looks quite smart in the grey paintwork, but the decals are a bit cheap & one has peeled off completely. The only thing I needed to sort out from the factory was to adjust the limit screw on the dreailleur and put a Charge Spoon saddle on.

There's mounting points for a rear rack & the front fork has 3 bottle cage type bosses for additional luggage Be aware that it comes with basic riser bars - the ones on the above video are cost option extras, but there is another version with drop bars, 650b wheels & cable brakes - which brings me on to my only problem with my bike. Despite completing the bedding in procedure, the original fitment 180mm front brake just refused to stop squealing and got worse with each application. I sanded the pads & degreased the disc with no change. I then fitted a new disc & pads, carefully bedded them in - same result. As a last resort I removed the spacer on the caliper mount, fitted a 160mm disc and - silence so it may be something in the fork/spacer combo that doesn't work. It's not affected the braking as I'm using it most as a utility bike or occasional commuter, not a downhill racer!

I don't know what you may want one for, but would I be right in thinking you took an adapted MTB around India last year? If so, then the standard gearing set up may need a bit of a rethink for a similar adventure - SRAM Eagle 1 x 12 is fine for my light use, but parts may be a bit expensive/difficult to find if something goes wrong on a similer trip to the India one. The £200 frameset could be a good starting point for your own choice of components.

8mph

Veteran
I'm probably not the best one to provide a review of its true capabilities as I'm much more of a roadie and only put 200 miles on it, but...

I've got the 29er wheel size and it's probably on a par with similar bikes with suspension forks for weight due to it being all steel rather than aluminium. On road it's pretty comfortable and surprisingly rapid, but this may be in part due to me running the Panaracer 2.1" wide tyres at near max pressure (around 50psi). Despite this it's coped with what limited off roading I've done quite well. Nicely put together and looks quite smart in the grey paintwork, but the decals are a bit cheap & one has peeled off completely. The only thing I needed to sort out from the factory was to adjust the limit screw on the dreailleur and put a Charge Spoon saddle on.

There's mounting points for a rear rack & the front fork has 3 bottle cage type bosses for additional luggage Be aware that it comes with basic riser bars - the ones on the above video are cost option extras, but there is another version with drop bars, 650b wheels & cable brakes - which brings me on to my only problem with my bike. Despite completing the bedding in procedure, the original fitment 180mm front brake just refused to stop squealing and got worse with each application. I sanded the pads & degreased the disc with no change. I then fitted a new disc & pads, carefully bedded them in - same result. As a last resort I removed the spacer on the caliper mount, fitted a 160mm disc and - silence so it may be something in the fork/spacer combo that doesn't work. It's not affected the braking as I'm using it most as a utility bike or occasional commuter, not a downhill racer!

I don't know what you may want one for, but would I be right in thinking you took an adapted MTB around India last year? If so, then the standard gearing set up may need a bit of a rethink for a similar adventure - SRAM Eagle 1 x 12 is fine for my light use, but parts may be a bit expensive/difficult to find if something goes wrong on a similer trip to the India one. The £200 frameset could be a good starting point for your own choice of components.
Thanks for your thoughts it looks like an absolute bargain. I wasn't aware that it had butted tubbing, the quality of the welding or that it had gussets. I'm not in the market for one but I'm keen to see what the backpacking crowd make of it. Looks like a great all-rounder. 👍

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Was cutting some 6 x 2 timbers with the electric saw yesterday, all of a sudden there was a clunk and it stopped. also tripped the circuit breaker, Just what i needed, thought i would pull it apart and see what caused it. I found the front bearing had collapsed, out with the old one, measured it up. ordered a new one from Wych bearings, £6.00 with postage. hopefully get it tomorrow, then can get on with building my staircase.:okay:
20200317_104318.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom