What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Says the doctor of engineering.:laugh:

Sorry if I came across badly. I just didn't want @MonsterEnergy to start wielding tools and ending up in an oily mess until we have an idea of what's actually wrong.

For what it's worth a google search found these videos and tech sheets for installation and maintenance of the Clarks Skeletal range: http://www.clarkscyclesystems.com/the-bike-bench/how-to-videos/exo-skeletal-brake-system.html

Nah, you didn't come across badly, @Rickshaw Phil :okay:

My area of expertise is strength of materials AKA breaking things, not fluid mechanics... :laugh:

Mike_P

Guru
Further customisation of the Gaint ebike - no mistake whose make it is now

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Further customisation of the Gaint ebike - no mistake whose make it is now View attachment 507868

That's not a bike, it's a sofa.

To which I would add, I like sofas.

Traditional upright Dutch roadster riding position with swept back bars set higher than the saddle.

Supremely comfortable.

My local bike shop sells a steady stream of steerer extenders to riders who want to achieve that position.

C R

Guru

Traditional upright Dutch roadster riding position with swept back bars set higher than the saddle.

Supremely comfortable.

My local bike shop sells a steady stream of steerer extenders to riders who want to achieve that position.
It is interesting what different riders find comfortable. I rode my wife's "city" bike the other day, and ended up with back ache, the only reason I could think of was the upright position.

Gunk

Guru

Supremely comfortable.

Just bought one for Mrs Gunk

424899AF-9EEC-49D0-BD99-E42E80A4DECE.jpeg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is interesting what different riders find comfortable. I rode my wife's "city" bike the other day, and ended up with back ache, the only reason I could think of was the upright position.

Could be, I think you use slightly different muscles to hold the upright Dutch position.

I've tried it on a couple of bikes, and it makes me wonder why I would ride anything else.

However, I have the impression that deploying my limited power is more difficult.

A flat bar bike with the bars set slighter lower than the saddle enables me to somehow lean into the downstroke when trying to push on.

Reactions: C R

Mike_P

Guru
If Giants sizing guide is to be believed it's actually on the small size so what the saddle height to bar height is like for anyone shorter can only be imagined. I presumably needed a ML which they do not make that ebike in and I tried a L out, never seen a top tube so long!

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The rear wheel on my Kona has needed rebuilding for the last two months, but I keep putting the job off. However the constant fettling and tightening of the loose spokes is not doing the wheel any favours. One of the big hurdles has been my lack of a proper wheel truing stand, I figured though that a complete rebuilt warranted more than just cable ties around the seat stays to true it back up. So I was curious about whether or not I could make my own using the excellent plans in Roger Musson's book. A quick ratch around my cellar and I found a manky 2m long plank of wood going spare. An hour later, I'd turned part of it into something resembling the upright in the plans.

So now I know it's feasible I'll see if I can find time tomorrow to start building the rest.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not fettled owt, but ordered a new Connex chain for the Pinnacle. Itll need a new cassette next time around so this chain will get ground to dust before being replaced again.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
An afternoon of basic frame cleaning and chain chain cleaning & lubrication for the Planet X, Bootzipper, Spa Elan & Pickenflick.

The Van Nicholas main commuter got the same, plus new Swissstop pads all round and a replacement of both of the metal clips where the Raceblade Longs attach at the rear brake bridge as I noticed that they had started to split. This took longer than expected as the brake bolt had seized in place as the clips were fitted before I knew about Copaslip, so some 'persuasion' was required.

Just had to tweak the FD trim on the summer bike after fitting new cables a week or so back and the first time out today. The RD cable was spot on. Now was that down to me or how good Shimano 105 is ? I know my Sora bike takes longer to tweak.

Top Bottom